struggle with one's own capacity to

Discussion in 'English Only' started by KoTatyana, Sep 21, 2009.

1. KoTatyana Member

St.Petersburg, Russia
    Russia, Russian
    Reading a book on psychology I came across a phrase I don't really understand.

Here it is: 'It is often much more of a challenge to deal with someone who does not acknowledge that there is a problem at all, than with someone who is struggling only with their own capacity to change in a certain area.'

The whole meaning is clear -- two groups of people are compared: people who can't see any problem in their life and people who 'struggle with their capacity to change'.

What is the problem with the second group? What does 'struggle with one's capacity to do smth' mean?
  2. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    That's not exactly how I would've put it, Tatyana. I would have written: ... someone who is struggling with their own lack of capacity to change in a certain area.

(It doesn't entirely make sense to me, otherwise.)
  3. KoTatyana Member

St.Petersburg, Russia
    Russia, Russian
    You see, the problem is that it is the authors who put it this way. If not entirely, but it makes some sense to you though, does'n it?
  4. Nunty

Nunty Modified

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    It makes sense to me. Some people don't think they have any problems. That is the first group.

Other people know they have a problem, but have great difficulties in making changes. They are struggling with their ability to make changes, their capacity to change. They want to change, but do not feel able to change.
  5. KoTatyana Member

St.Petersburg, Russia
    Russia, Russian
    Both ways if you add lack of capacity or just leave it the way it is, the phrase seems to have similar meaning. Now it makes sense to me too. Thank you for your help.