1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Student-teacher romance/love affair?!

Discussion in 'English Only' started by comsci, Sep 23, 2006.

1. comsci

comsci Senior Member

Taiwan, Vancouver(B.C.) and the Rockies
    Mandarin, Taiwan(Yankees 40 Wang)
    I was asked a question by a student in my class, "what do you call a romance/love affair between a teacher and his/her student"? I recall many years ago a female elementary school teacher in Seattle(could be wrong about the geography) fell in love with her boy student who's much younger than she is. It's a bit off but I do want to know if there's term for it, a colloquial one if possible. ;)

2. equivoque Senior Member

Queensland, Australia
    Australia - English
    I can't think of any specific term for it other than what it actually is, which is a clandestine affair. If one of the parties is below a statutory age, then it is a crime and the name of the crime would depend on where it was committed.

3. comsci

comsci Senior Member

By "clandestine" I would subtitute it with "under the rose". :) Yes I realise that if one of the parties is a minor, both of them would be in deep trouble. In the meantime, as of now, I'm still pondering if such a term exists. :)

4. equivoque Senior Member

Queensland, Australia
    Australia - English
    Sorry, I can't think of one but clandestine means, in secret.

5. comsci

comsci Senior Member

Yes, I know and so does "under the rose" meaning "in secret". Thank you for your ardent help. :)

6. jimreilly Senior Member

Minneapolis
    American English
    When one of the parties is under age, it is an illicit affair, or an illicit student-teacher affair.

Even when both parties are of age, most schools have rules against faculty members having affairs with their students, so such affairs might still be described as illicit, meaning against the rules rather than against the law, even though that stretches illicit beyond its usual meaning.

I think most often one just hears student-teacher affair or teacher-student affair.

7. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    I've only heard "under the rose" in literary works, never in ordinary speech. And if student were a minor, of either gender, use of "under the rose" would risk the appearance of the speaker's trying to minimize the importance of that fact. In fact, "romance" or "love affair" might do the same thing, if the student were a minor.

If it's a college professor and an adult student, on the other hand, "love affair" or "romance" would be fine if love were involved. However, if it's just sex between a professor and an adult student, the best word would be a simple, "affair", to my ear.

8. comsci

comsci Senior Member

Yes I understand the term illicit conveying the notion of illegitimacy. Thank you jimreilly for your input.

9. comsci

comsci Senior Member

And an illicit ____ affair between an elementary school teacher and her boy student? :D

An illicit affair, or better yet an illicit student-teacher affair sounds good to me. Thank you all.

How about an illicit romance? Does it make any sense, if at all?

10. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    I'm having a great deal of trouble with the word "romance" when your example refers to an elementary school student, regardless of the gender of the child. Children do get "crushes" on their teachers from time to time but if an elementary school teacher were to take sexual advantage of such a crush, it would probably be called "child abuse", "statutory rape", or "rape of a child", not an "affair" or a "romance."

11. jimreilly Senior Member

Minneapolis
    American English
    I agree with Old Novice here about the word "romance" being inappropriate when the example is teacher and elementary school student. With older parties it may be more appropriate. I have a friend who married one of her college teachers (who was much older than she was), and they had a marriage which lasted until his death, a marriage which also seemed to be a good one. I think it qualified as a student-teacher romance.

12. comsci

comsci Senior Member

I see, thank you Old Novice and jimreilly for the thoughtful explanation. I agree that it's clearly "child abuse" as you have pointed out when the affair/romance in which any party involved is in fact a minor. I'd also say it's puppy love, which happens among juveniles/teenagers.

True that young students sometimes have crushes on their teachers.