stupidest - most stupid

Discussion in 'English Only' started by KnightMove, Aug 18, 2006.

1. KnightMove

KnightMove Senior Member

German/Austria
    According to the rules I have learned, the superlative of stupid is: more stupid, most stupid. But google has more hits for stupider, stupidest. Now which is correct? Is there a difference between BrE and AmE?

2. virr2

virr2 Senior Member

Warsaw
    Poland
    Two forms are correct: stupid - more stupid/stupider - most stupid/stupidest.
    There is no difference in meaning.

Cheers,
    Virr

3. KnightMove

KnightMove Senior Member

German/Austria
    Does this mean it is nowadays allowed to compare all 2-syllable adjectives with -er, -est? For example moderner, modernest?

4. NealMc Senior Member

Hi

I would in most instances use "most stupid" but I do not offer this opinion as me speaking on behalf of all BE speakers.

I would only use stupidest to make a point on the absolute stupidity of someone or something - as it strikes me as a stupid way to use this superlative.

Cheers
    Neal Mc

5. virr2

virr2 Senior Member

Warsaw
    Poland
    No, but there are some adjectives which are compared by er/est and more/most. I don't think that "modern" has two forms.

6. NealMc Senior Member

Hi

More modern and the most modern. You couldn't use -er and -est with modern.

Cheers

7. virr2

virr2 Senior Member

Warsaw
    Poland
  8. zena168 Junior Member

US
    ROC Mandarin
    I don't think any of my professors would accept "stupider" in my paper but "stupidest," "more stupid," and "most stupid" is good. Though people use all of them during normal conversation. (AE)