1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Magmod Senior Member

England
    England English
    Hola
    Cómo se traducirá (1) Subido de tono y eso:
    (2) Aunque curiosamente cuando hay discusiones y la conversación sube de tono ( flame wars ) muchas veces se pasa al usted.

:arrow: (2) Although oddly when there are arguments and the conversation .... often one moves the address to the tú form :confused:

Saludos
    :)

2. lafert Senior Member

at the edge
    Spanish Uruguay
    (2) Although oddly when there are arguments and the conversation .... often one moves the address to the tú form :confused:
    ...and when the conversation heats up often one moves to a formal way of addressing the person you are speaking to.

3. Misao

Misao Senior Member

back in Soria
    Zaragoza(Spain)- Spanish
    Hi Magmod, I cannot give you a certain explanation for that, although the WR dictionary says "subido de tono: arrogant, haughty" that refers to a person.
    When a conversation "se sube de tono" means that the participants start (1) shouting at each other (2) using inappropiate tone, (3) even insulting each other.

So, my attempt:

Although, curiously, when arguments take place and the conversation tone becomes out of place/inappropiate, it is often spoken using the courtesy form (Usted).

Hope this helps!

Cheers! :)

4. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    Aunque curiosamente cuando hay discusiones y la conversación sube de tono ( flame wars ) muchas veces se pasa al usted

"Oddly, when arguments begin and the tone of the conversation heats up/ flares up people often refer to each other in more formal/distantly polite terms."

5. Magmod Senior Member

England
    England English
    Muchas gracias a Lafert , Aurilla y :arrow: Misao (por la esfuerza extra )
    Saludos

6. edwingill Senior Member

England English
    Subido de tono = risqué

7. Magmod Senior Member

England
    England English
    Hola Edwin
    Pero tu definición es muy diferente de los otros en el foro.
    :arrow: ¿Cómo se puede usar esta en la frase arriba?
    Un saludo

8. San Senior Member

Spanish
    Magmod, a "conversación subida de tono" might means an argument but also a conversation with explicit sexual content. For instance, in a film, "una escena subidita de tono" = you can watch the actors having sex or speaking about it. I'm remembering "Closer" now :)

9. Magmod Senior Member

England
    England English
    Hi San
    Thanks for your interesting explanation in support of Edwin :thumbsup:
    :arrow: Can you explain that it also means arrogant in support of Misao.
    :arrow: Is it something to do with raising the tone of the voice or is it an idiom? :confused:
    Un saludo

10. San Senior Member

Spanish
    I just saw that is in the DRAE, but I didn't know really, I think I've never heard it in that sense:

I do know "bajar el tono" in the sense of "moderarse", becoming more gentle afer not being at all, but not necessarily after being arrogant.

Also:
    Now indeed I'd never seen that before

You can see it is both, literal, refering to the voice, and metaphoric, then it's likely an idiom. You can apply not only to voice and conversation but also to a book, film, a reunion and son on:

That's to say, you can apply to nearly everything to refer the purpose of a action, and most important, the key to realise what are you watching. In this sense "en tono de" is nearly synonym with "en clave de"

Samples:

:arrow: Lo dijo en tono de amenaza
    It sounded like a threat
    :arrow: La concentración transcurrió en tono festivo
    People behave in the demonstration like at a party
    :arrow: Está escrito en tono de humor = en clave de humor
    It's written with humorous purpose. This is the key, you must know, if not, you won't uderstand anything, or worse, you could misunderstand it.

Sorry if I make mistakes. I don't feel safe at all with English :)

11. Magmod Senior Member

England
    England English
    Hi San
    Thank you so much for your explanation :thumbsup:
    You've got a logical brain and your English can only improve with practice together with the application of your logic.
    Buena suerte