1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

subjunctive + podría ser

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by annaneedshelp, Apr 27, 2014.

1. annaneedshelp Senior Member

english
    "a veces los cortes se equivocan y les dan sentencias a personas que son inocentes por lo tanto si legalizamos la pene de muerte podría ser que matemos a alguien inocente" is it right to use the subjunctive in this case and could someone clarify why yes or no.

Gracias.
    Anna.

2. Julvenzor

Julvenzor Senior Member

Sevilla
    Español propio (Andalucía, España)

Red: Incorrect.
    Black: A better option.

:thumbsup:

3. annaneedshelp Senior Member

english
    "A veces las cortes se equivocan y condenan a personas (que son) inocentes, por (lo) tanto, si legalizamos la pena de muerte podría ocurrir/suceder quematásemos/matáramos a alguien inocente" is it right to use the subjunctive in this case and could someone clarify why yes or no.
    Red: Incorrect.
    Black: A better option.

thank you. so both que matásemos/ mataramos is subjunctive, but imperfect. I think I understand. thank you for the other suggestions. "pene de muerte" I think was an autocorrect haha.

4. pmaka06 Senior Member

Julvenzor, thanks for the corrections but could you clarify something for me and this doubt comes from the 'If + imperfect subjunctive with conditional' structure. Could 'si legalizamos' be 'si legalizáramos' in this case. I know there are varying degrees of doubt or certainty that dictate the use of either the indicative or subjunctive in this simplified formula and that it can be at times disputable or subjective.

5. Julvenzor

Julvenzor Senior Member

Sevilla
    Español propio (Andalucía, España)
    :thumbsup:

Generally:

Si + present indicative, present/conditional*/future indicative == Ej: Si vienen, nos ayudan/ayudarían/ayudarán
    Si + imperfect subjunctive, conditional*/some compunds forms == Ej: Si vinieran, nos ayudarían/nos habrían ayudado/hubieran ayudado

*In the first case, the speaker is about 90% sure; in the second one the speaker is about 50 % sure. At least, that's my impression.

A pleasure.

6. pmaka06 Senior Member

Thank you!