1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

substitute for - passive voice

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Effi#, May 6, 2014.

1. Effi# New Member

GREEK
    Hello everyone!

I am confused about how can I use correctly the passive voice of the word "substitute for"!

Firstly, I would like to ask if the following sentence is correct to ensure that I have completely understand the meaning of the word "substitute for":

- In the second half of our century, computers will substitute for text books!
    (I want to say that text books will be replaced with the computers). So, is my above sentence correct?

Secondly, I am very confused about the passive voice of the "substitute for":

- Text books will be substituted for computers in the second half of our century!
    (I want to say that text books will be replaced with computers). So, did I write correct the above sentence, by using the passive voice of the "substitute for"?
    Or I give the completely opposite meaning of what I want to give?

Thank you

2. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    Hello,

"Substitute for" sounds a little strange here. I would use "replace":
    Active voice: "Computers will replace text books."
    Passive voice: "Text books will be replaced by computers."

3. Effi# New Member

GREEK
    Is it easy to tell me what is the difference between "replace" and "substitute"?
    Could you please give me some examples by using the words "substitute for" and the passive voice "substituted for"?

4. Effi# New Member

GREEK
    Is there anyone who can help me? :confused:

5. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    A substitute is a temporary replacement, or a second-best. It doesn'ty mean a permanent replacement or a long-term one.

6. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    I'm sure it's the same problems we, Spanish speakers, have with those verbs. However you use them, it'll sound counter-intuitive. I've ditched 'substitute' from my English vocabulary, and stick to 'replace', as sound shift said. It's really confusing otherwise.

7. Effi# New Member

GREEK
    Could you please give me an example sentence of the passive voice of the "substituted for"?

8. Terry was substituted for Lampard in the 70th minute.

9. duvija

duvija Senior Member

Chicago
    Spanish - Uruguay
    Great. Now, a little detail: who was playing and who took his place? Seriously, I wouldn't know which way it goes.

10. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

Texas
    English - US
    Active sentence 1: I substituted Terry for Lampard. I took Lampard out and put Terry in.
    Active sentence 2: Terry substituted for Lampard. Lampard is out, Terry is in. Terry wanted to do this or they agreed on it or something.

Passive version of 1: Terry was substituted for Lampard.
    Passive version of 2: There is none because it's intransitive.

11. Effi# New Member

GREEK
    Thank you a lot!!!! :):):)

12. Effi# New Member

GREEK
    Passive version of 1: Terry was subsituted for Lampard.
    It means that, I took Lampard out and put Terry in?