1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

successfully achieve / achieve successfully (word order)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by sirena 20, Dec 5, 2012.

1. sirena 20 New Member

spanish
    Hi! Can someone tell me if the order goes like; successfully achieve something or achieve something successfully?

2. Tazzler Senior Member

Maryland
    American English
    The first order sounds better to me but in truth the word "successfully" is not needed because "achieve" already has the notion of success in it so you'd be redundant. But please place in it a sentence (and do so in all future queries).

3. AdrienDeLaChicago

AdrienDeLaChicago Senior Member

Hi Sirena:

You can use both examples. The first one you typed sounds more common, and therefore 'appears' more correct. But they are both grammatically acceptable. Tazzler makes a good point that there really is no need to the adverb "successfully" in a sentence when you use the verb "to achieve."

However, it's not wrong. It simply makes your statement more emphatic. Because if you were to say:

"Although I achieved excellent scores in college when I was younger, it really didn't help prepare me for life in the real world." In this example, using the word achieve simply means you completed or attained something but the effort may or may not have been worth it.

But saying something like:

"In record time, I successfully achieved my goal of losing weight through proper diet and exercise and I love how I look and feel!" In this example, you set a goal and you achieved it and are ecstatic with your results.

Using the adverb 'successfully' denotes a sense of accomplishment that you are pleased and/or proud of.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  4. sirena 20 New Member

spanish
    Thank you both so much... I guess the text itself is very redundant in Spanish... I am translating it to English... It's good to have your support!

5. AdrienDeLaChicago

AdrienDeLaChicago Senior Member

De nada, sirena. :)

6. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    Maybe your question about the adverb, before or after the verb, would be clearer with words that are not so redundant together as "successfully" and "achieved".
    How about
    (1) He quietly left the room.
    (2) He left the room quietly.
    In (1), the focus is on leaving the room (and incidentally, it was done quietly).
    In (2), he was expected to leave the room, and the focus is on how quietly he did it.
    Think about the adjective before or after the noun in Spanish—it's similar.

7. sirena 20 New Member

spanish
    Ok, thanks for the grammar lesson! Once you get this you don't get lost... so much to learn and very glad to have joined the site!