Such as myself, such as me, such as I

Discussion in 'English Only' started by kopo, Jan 3, 2010.

1. kopo Junior Member

English - U.S., Russian
    Which of the following is grammatically correct?

People such as myself are...
    People such as I are...
    People such as me are...

Google results point to the first as the most popular, but I suspect it's not actually technically correct.
  2. Toadie

Toadie Senior Member

People such as I are...

The nominative case is the correct one in this... case (sorry for the redundancy, hope it doesn't cause any confusion.).
  3. spodulike

spodulike Senior Member

Brighton, England
    English - England
    "myself" is often used by some native speakers of English when they don´t know whether to used "I" or "me". However the correct use of "myself" is in reflexive verbs, e.g. "I prepared myself for the exam"

The difficulty in deciding between "I" and "me" is understandable. Consider the following example:

"God gives his mercy to such as I"
    "God gives his mercy to such as me"

On the face of it we might expect the second to be correct because God is giving his mercy "to me". However we must take into account the true origin and meaning of the phrase "such as I". If we consider it to be an abbreviation for "such a person as I am" then all becomes clear.

"God gives his mercy to such a person as I am " :tick:
    "God gives his mercy to such a person as me am" :cross:
    "God gives his mercy to such a person as myself am" :cross:

Despite the above, many people will write "such as me" as a form of hypercorrection.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. Bevj

Bevj Allegra Moderata

Girona, Spain
    English (U.K.)
    I suspect that 'people such as myself are....' is more commonly used because 'people such as I are' sound so ugly even if technically correct.
    Personally I would always say 'God gives his mercy to such as me'.
  5. spodulike

spodulike Senior Member

Brighton, England
    English - England
    I have to admit that, in normal speech, I would say the same. I think this goes to show that English is always evolving. For example in England these days one almost never hears the word "whom".

"Who will you see tomorrow"
    "Whom will you see tomorrow"

The latter is "correct" but most educated people that I know would use the former.
  6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    From the OED:
    The clause introduced by as may be reduced to the subj. only; when this is a pron., it may be either nom. or acc., e.g. ‘such as me’ or ‘such as I’​
    There is one example quoted from 1412.
    That's good enough for people such as me.
  7. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    I recommend you avoid using I in such phrases.
    People such as myself seems to be the most common expression and is perfectly respectable English. It also sounds natural. I have seen People such as I in writing, but it sounds/looks rather artificial to me.

Such as can be used instead of like. People like myself or People like me are fine and can be used in writing or speech. But NOT People like I.
  8. It_is_I New Member

Boston (originally Montreal)
    English - Canada/US
    People waaay overuse and misuse "myself"... They can't choose between "I" and "me", so they think "myself" will do... UGH!

"If you need more details, just contact myself or John" -- I want to shoot "myself"! -- I tell my kids to eliminate the other person, like as in: "... just contact me", not "... just contact I" or "... just contact myself".