1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. MCesA Junior Member

Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    Entities must distribute a public key such that its substitution or alteration

I am not sure about the meaning of such that in this sentence.

I wrote:

Asegurar que la distribución de la clave pública satisfaga los siguientes requerimientos:

Las entidades deben distribuir una clave pública como su substitución o alteración.

Could you anyone help me?

Thanks

2. Jerzon

Jerzon Senior Member

Colombia
    Español-Colombia
    Is that the whole sentence? Or there's something else after "alteration"? If so, I'd go with "de tal manera que".

3. MCesA Junior Member

Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    There is no more sentence. That is it, unfortunately.

4. Jerzon

Jerzon Senior Member

Colombia
    Español-Colombia
    I've got the feeling there's something missing in that sentence, I might be wrong though, so I suggest you to wait for someone else's opinion.

5. MCesA Junior Member

Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    Thank you so much, though! I'll wait and see then... :)

6. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    I agree with Jerzon that the original sentence is either incomplete or makes no sense at all. Sorry I can't help more.

7. donbill

donbill Senior Member / Moderator

South Carolina / USA
    English - American
    No estoy seguro, pero diría que hay dos posibilidades.

A veces 'such that' significa 'para que' o 'de modo que', y es posible que sea su significado en lo que has puesto. Te confieso que no sé si tal uso es aceptable. Otra posibilidad es que quiera decir 'tal clave', pero estoy de acuerdo con los otros foreros: se necesita más contexto.

Saludos

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  8. srb62 Senior Member

Scotland
    British English
    Agreed, something seems to be missing.:)

9. MCesA Junior Member

Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    Ok, I will try to provide more context.

* Ensure that private key distribution complies with the same requirements as that of a symmetric key.
    * Make certain that the distribution of a public key satisfies the following requirements:
    **Entities must distribute a public key such that its substitution or alteration.

**Before entities accept a key, they must ensure that they know its origin, and prearranged methods to validate the certificate status must exist and must be used where public keys are conveyed in certificates.Before entities accept a key, they must ensure that they know its origin, and prearranged methods to validate the certificate status must exist and must be used where public keys are conveyed in certificates.

I hope this helps!

10. Jerzon

Jerzon Senior Member

Colombia
    Español-Colombia
    I still think there's something wrong there. Maybe it should be "Entities must distribute a public key in case of its substitution or alteration". But I'm not quite sure.

11. MCesA Junior Member

Argentina
    Castellano, Argentina
    I feel the same way but because the instructions are from a world wide known company, I'm not comfortable making changes...

I'm torn.