suck a golf ball through a garden hose

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Redline2200, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Redline2200

Redline2200 Senior Member

Illinois, United States
    English - United States
    I was watching the movie Full Metal Jacket the other day and there is this hilarious line (although a little rude...my apologies!) where the army drill sergeant tells a private:

"I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose."

After hearing this, I began to wonder how this would be said in Spanish and I was wondering if someone could give me a hand. I want something that sounds colloquial and something that would sound as funny in Spanish as it does in English.
    Also, I was trying to think of a good way to express "I bet" in this case and I am sure there has to be a better translation than "yo apostaria"!
    Could you make sure to include a common way of saying something like "I bet"?

Gracias de antemano!!

2. Sharkku Junior Member

Barcelona
    Catalan, Spanish
    I've been thinking about it, and I guess the best way to translate "I bet that..." it's just "Apuesto que...". Also, you can say "Apostaría algo a que...", "Me juegaría algo a que...", "Me juego lo que quieras a que..." or something similar. May be you can also say "Seguro que..." but it will have the connotation that you are really sure about it. Another expressions would change in function of the Spanish speaking region that you are. In Spain, in a rude and "street" way, some people would say "Fijo que...", but it would really sound weird from a non Spanish speaker.

To be honest, I can't understand all the sense of the English expression, so I can't help you with some translation that sounds so funny as it is in Enlgish. Here you have my literal translation:

"Apuesto a que eres capaz de chupar un bola de golf con una manguera"

But I think that it don't have a lot of sense in Spanish. I hope that someone can give you a better translation.
    Regards.

3. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    There is a Mexican expression with the same meaning (really): "comer arroz con popote". So my suggestion: "Te apuesto que te gusta el arroz con popote"

4. Redline2200

Illinois, United States
    English - United States
    I think what you said sounds good and it is pretty much what I'm looking for. To help you understand the meaning, it is a joke about male-on-male oral sex...:eek:
    In that context, would the joke be understood in Spanish?

5. Sharkku Junior Member

Barcelona
    Catalan, Spanish
    No, it wouldn't!
    Sorry, I can't think about any similar expression that could be understood in Spanish...
    Have you tried to looking for the official translation of the film? Please, tell us if you find out the translation.

6. Redline2200

Illinois, United States
    English - United States
    Well thank you both for your help; I will check the translation and let you know Sharkku if I find anything!

7. Alisterio

Alisterio Senior Member

Mexico City
    UK English
    Hi Redline,

The suggestion you got from Moritzchen is an excellent one, at least in the context of Mexican Spanish. "Comer arroz con popote" (literally "to eat rice through a straw") is based on the exact same concept as the hose-and-golf-ball thing you mentioned (i.e., that someone is, ahem, an enthusiastic sucker).

8. Redline2200

Illinois, United States
    English - United States
    Yes, I do like the suggestion of Moritzchen very much, the only thing is that I was going to jokingly say this phrase to a friend of mine who happens to be a Spaniard and I am not sure if he will understand due to the fact that it is a Mexican phrase.
    Do you think a Spaniard would understand the meaning?

9. aurilla Senior Member

Puerto Rico
    Am Eng/PR Spanish
    When the sargeant tells the private, "I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose," he's referring to the fact that the guy is "sucking up" to him so much that he's become an expert at it.

10. Sharkku Junior Member

Barcelona
    Catalan, Spanish
    A Spaniard wouldn't understand "comer arroz con popote" ("popote" is a word not used in Spain)!

11. Redline2200

Illinois, United States
    English - United States
    Thank you very much for clearing that up!

Oh yeah and....

Haha, you have not seen the movie if that is what you think he meant.
    I will put below the context of what he said before that in order to prove my point, but due to the vulgarity, I will type in white, so highlight it to read it; if you do not wish to read the vulgarity then DO NOT highlight the following:

Do you suck dicks? Are you a peter puffer?....Do you suck dicks? (The response is "no") Bullshit! I bet you could suck a golf ball through a garden hose.

12. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    You can listen to the clip here, among other good sound bites from the movie. There is no question as to what Sarge is saying.

13. mal67 Senior Member

Lusaka
    US - English
    Without getting into the golf ball/hose part, I think that you could translate "I bet..." as "A que..."