1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

suck

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by stephenlearner, Dec 28, 2012.

1. stephenlearner Senior Member

Chinese
    Hi,

Do you know a Chinese verb which means suck?
    When you eat a candy, you put it in your mouth, but you don't chew it, you just hold, moisten and move it in your mouth.
    My mate, who speaks Mandarin, tells me that it is 含.
    But in my opinion, 含 means you hold the candy in your mouth, but don't move it.
    In my dialect, we use a verb which sounds like 濾. Let me give you a sentence:
    不要嚼著吃,在嘴裡 著吃。

What verb could you suggest?
    Thanks !!

2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    These are what I can think of: 吮(shǔn)嘬 (zuō)
    Have you tried looking up some dictionaries? I don't think you'll have any difficulty to find "suck" in Chinese.

3. stephenlearner Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you, xiaolijie.
    Yes, I have resorted to a dictionary, and got 吮 and 嘬. But they are used with liquids, not hard candy, I think.
    Besides, 吮 is too formal. It is rarely used in casual conversation.
    Anyway, thank you for your imput.
    Just now I searched on the Internet and found lots of people use 含, so probably it is the right word.

4. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Here are some examples I got from a dictionary. They seem to mean just "suck" and don't seem to be retricted in the ways you described:

很多孩子嘬大拇指,但大多数大了就不会了。
    小男孩儿吮着拇指。

5. stephenlearner Senior Member

Chinese
    Thank you again.
    嘬手指 is fine, but 嘬糖 is not. I don't know why. But I don't say it that way.
    吮著拇指 is good. But as I said before, it is rarely used in colloquial speech. I don't say 吮糖 either.
    This is just my personal preference.

6. tarlou Senior Member

Chinese
    In my dialect we say both 嘬 and 唆. A verb sounds like "suo la" is more commonly used in my hometown. It means 把食物(的一部分)放到嘴里一边舔一边吸.
    嘬 is also acceptable to me for candy, but I don't know if that's an issue of dialects.
    If you just move the candy in the mouth but do not suck, probably the closest verb is 含.

7. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Cantonese (Hong Kong)
    Hi! I'm not sure if that's exactly what you mean, but in Cantonese there's the verb mui2 (I've never seen it written down) used for eating things like 話梅. In contrast, 嘬 zyut3 is a more forceful action, while 吮 syun5 won't work at all in this context.