1. brimbelle Junior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Français - French
    In France we make the difference between "sucre roux" or "sucre complet" and "sucre intégral".

Sucre roux can be either cane sugar or beet sugar which has been cooked twice.
    Sucre complet comes from sugar cane and has not been 100% purified and it still has some molasses.
    Sucre intégral comes from sugar cane and has not been at all purified and still contains all its molasses.

I believe that the first 2 ones are called "brown sugar" in English.
    But how do you call the last one on order to mke the difference understandable : "integral cane sugar" or "whole cane sugar" or something else ?
    Tahnks for your help.
  2. Santana2002 Senior Member

English, from Ireland
    Is it Demerara Sugar?

Demerara is a light brown, partially refined, sugar produced from the first crystallization during processing cane juice into sugar crystals (this process is similar to what happens with naturally evaporated cane juice). Unlike brown sugar, which has the added molasses flavor, Demerara has a natural caramel-like flavor that hasn’t been refined out.

3. brimbelle Junior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Français - French
    Demerara is one type of this whole brown cane sugar like Muscovado. I am looking for the generic term. Do you think that if I say "whole brown sugar" it is OK ?
  4. djweaverbeaver Senior Member

English Atlanta, GA USA
    Unrefined whole cane sugar

In the U.S., one can also find other types of sugar in organic food stores:

Sucanat - interestingly enough, it comes from SUcre du CAne NATurel. It is whole cane sugar from dehydrated sugar cane juice. It retains 100% of the sugar cane's molasses. So the product 13% molasses in content.

Muscovado - an unrefined dark brown sugar. It's coarser and stickier than most brown sugars and is made from sugar cane juice left over during the production process and evaporated. It can also be called molasses sugar interchangeably, although molasses sugar tends to have a stronger taste than Muscovado.

Demerara sugar - large, unrefined grains; pale in color, produced as Santana2002 noted above. This is probably the easiest one of the ones mentioned here to find in most grocery stores.

Turbinado- medium brown in color with large crystals. The juice from the sugar cane is pressed and then slowly heated to evaporate the water out. It is then spun in a centrifuge (or 'turbine') to solidify the crystals.

There are other out there, but these are the ones that I've come across before. You have to watch out because I lot of "raw" or "natural" brown sugars out there because a lot of them are just white refined sugar that has had a little molasses added back to it to give it its color.