1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

suffice- usage

Discussion in 'English Only' started by kritika, Sep 21, 2011.

1. kritika Senior Member

India - Hindi & English
    Can we end a sentence with "suffice"?

Example: I have attached a copy of required details; let me know if this suffice.

Or should it be

I have attached a copy of required details; let me know if this suffice the requirement.

Thanks for your help!

2. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    You can end a sentence with almost anything, as long as it's a complete sentence. The first sentence is almost perfect (except you've forgotten to conjugate "suffice" and remember that if the details are "required" then they are being counted and delimited and a definite pronoun is needed).

The second sentence has a few more problems. The first is that "suffice" isn't a transitive verb, so it can't take a direct object as in "to suffice the requirements" (unlike "let me know if this meets/exceeds/satisfies your requirements"). You need a preposition in there.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    You would be correct to write: I have attached a copy of the required details; let me know if this suffices.

4. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Same problem, kritika - you need to make sure the verb matches its subject in number and person. "It" is third person singular, so the verb form of "to suffice" that matches that is, as MattQuad points out, suffices.

And still, "to suffice" doesn't take a direct object, so nothing can "suffice it"; perhaps something could suffice for it or to​ it.

5. kritika Senior Member

India - Hindi & English
    Thanks Lucas for the explaination and MuttQuad for the correction.

I would like to correct the second sentence, let me know if this is right or not:

"I have attached a copy of the required details, let me know if this suffices it"

6. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Sorry, I realize I might have been confusing in my previous post: I meant to say "suffice" needs to either take a preposition or no object at all. In this case, the object is clear from the context, so it's best to just leave it out:

"let me know if this suffices."

7. kritika Senior Member

India - Hindi & English
    Thanks again Lucas