sufragio efectivo no reelección

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Tonatiuh, May 18, 2006.

1. Tonatiuh Senior Member

Monterrey, N.L MX
    Spanish, México
    Hey, hi there? Could anyone help me with the correct equivalent into English of the word: SUFRAGIO EFECTIVO NO REELECCIÓN.Thank you so much!!

"Y navegaron internet adentro y echaron sus redes...".
    "Do it, and ye shall live"
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  2. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    This is the motto of the Mexican government, and is commonly printed or stamped on ... what kind of documents?

I think it would simply be, "Effective suffrage, no re-election". It´s understandable ...
  3. ILT

ILT Moderando con moderación

México - Español/Castellano
    Ho Tonatiuh, as Txiri, I suggest using the literal translation, that's what I use, just without the dash: Effective Sufrage. No Reelection.

Txiri: This is printed before any public officers signs an official document, it can be a law, a resolution, a decree, I think even internal memorandums have to have it ;)
  4. Maeron Senior Member

Mexico City
    Canada, English
    To add to what "I love translating" has said, in many Latin American countries, every government and official organization has a slogan, which appears on every document and letter that is issued by the respective organization. Someone who isn't familiar with this tradition may wonder what it's doing there. I've even seen some puzzled translators trying to work out what it has to do with the content of the letter. Here's how author Jack Child explains it in his book Introduction to Spanish Translation:

(Child follows this with three more examples from other Latin American countries.)

In my opinion, just explaining the historical significance isn't quite enough. If the reader of the translated letter or other document doesn't know about the custom of including the lema in every document, it can still be mystifying even if the slogan is translated and the history explained. My solution is to follow the translation of the slogan with this brief note in square brackets: [A historical slogan that appears in the signature portion of every Mexican government letter.]

Anyone who translates Mexican documents will probably meet the UNAM (University of Mexico) slogan, too: "Por mi raza hablará el espiritu." How to translate it adequately is another debate and a half.
  5. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    Thank you for the explanation.

Do you mind sharing what some of the other lemas are? Forewarned is forearmed, as they say.
  6. Maeron Senior Member

Mexico City
    Canada, English
    I don't have my copy of Child's book at hand, so I started to look elsewhere, and I found this very interesting list: Many countries that don't put their lemas on every document do nevertheless have one. Also, it mentions that Mexico's isn't official.
  7. Tonatiuh Senior Member

Monterrey, N.L MX
    Spanish, México
    :thumbsup: I am so grateful to you, thanks a lot. You're simply excellent. This is a great help for me. I think I Love Translating's observations are relevant, in fact here in México almost every official document contains a kind of slogan, for example here I have another one:

[now, it is appearing in every official document]
    "2006, Año del Bicentenario del Natalicio del Benemérito de las Américas" ... (Don Benito Juárez) :rolleyes: and, who Benito Juárez was? Je je.
    Thank you again. bye.:cool:
  8. mixtli Senior Member

I saw in a document by the University of Arizona:

"Voting/Suffrage rights and no reelection"
  9. emosq001 Member

United States of America
    Mexican Spanish & American English
    Sufragio efectivo, no reelección (Lema mexicano) = One person, one vote (American motto).
  10. Sersol Senior Member

Hola a todos:
    In Mexico, re-election is not legal.
    Effective suffrage. No re-election, was the slogan of Francisco Madero to fight the dictatorship of Porfirio Diaz.
    It was the motto of the subsequent governments of the Mexican Revolution of 1910.
    But such ideas are somewhat weakened today.

Cordial saludo.