Sugar, Mr. Poon? -- Fletch [movie]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Giraya, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Giraya New Member

French - France
    I was watching the movie Fletch (1985) with Chevy Chase and there's a joke I don't understand. Of course, I'm sure it's not the only thing I can't understand but this joke seems to be so popular and many fans like to quote it all the time... Hopefully it's not rude (because I know a word is slang for something :))... So here's the quote as you can find it on IMDB:

Receptionist: [handing Fletch a cup of coffee] Sugar, Mr. Poon?
    Fletch: No, never, never.

So what's so funny ? Is it a play on words ? Thanx in advance :)...

2. Egmont Senior Member

Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    I don't see anything strange about this. Fletch says he never takes sugar in his coffee. I have no idea why this is supposed to be funny, unless there's more context before or after that makes it funny. (Perhaps seeing the movie would help. I haven't.)

3. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    Of course it's rude -- it's Fletch. I am only guessing because I haven't seen the movie, but there is really only one word that comes to mind: poontang, which is American vulgar slang for 1) sexual activity, or 2) a woman or women regarded in terms of sexual gratification. Poon is a short form.

It would be a very odd, mirthful name for a man -- add in "sugar" with that and you have the makings of (juvenile) humor, I think. But the main source of humor is that name.

4. Giraya New Member

French - France
    I see, so it's a silly joke playing on the serious of the situation. Everybody does like it's normal even if the name is very weird and even rude... I was thinking there's a play on words that's why I asked to native english speakers :)...

Thanx for your answers...