"Suivez le fil" -- comme c'est romantique!

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by rosalind, Feb 14, 2007.

1. rosalind Senior Member

Tokai, Japan
    USA, American English
    Bonjour tout le monde:

I am translating a B.D. story aimed at young adults, fairly light in tone and with a lot of wordplay.

In one scene, someone is telling the protagonists (a young man and a young woman, about 14) how to find the person they are looking for. He says: "[How do you find him?] Oh, ben ça c'est très simple: Suivez le fil!"

The young man, confused, says, "Suivre le... ?"

The young woman clasps her hands together and says, " 'Suivez le fil' comme c'est romantique!"

Generally, I think I understand what is going on here. The informant tells them to "Follow the thread!" (or cord, or rope, or wire...), and there is in fact a thread that the heroes can follow.

What I don't understand is why the young girl says, "Suivez le fil, comme c'est romantique!" Is there a wordplay, a jeu de mots, or a reference I'm missing? (Or perhaps she's just excited about going on an adventure?)

Thanks very much for any help!

- Susannah

2. dark_light Senior Member

paris
    french
    Reference to Ariadne and the Labyrinth?

3. DDT

DDT Senior Member

Paris, France
    Italy - Italian
    I'd say so

DDT

4. rosalind Senior Member

Tokai, Japan
    USA, American English
    Okay, I'll assume that's what it is. (I don't know... are references to classical mythology really that common in French popular culture? I wouldn't expect a given 14-year-old American girl to make such a connection. But perhaps 14-year-olds are different in France, l'éducation nationale et tout cela. :)

Thanks for your help!

5. murasame New Member

Paris
    French
    Well... I think it is rather not romantic at all.

Usually, that "joke" refers to what women usually use when they have their periods: A tampon. Errr...

Moreover, this is the kind of jokes you'd hear among teenagers (boys usually).

Well. I may be wrong... But this is the only thing I could think of when you related this passage...

6. KaRiNe_Fr

KaRiNe_Fr Senior Member

France, Provence
    Français, French - France
    Salut murasame et bienvenue sur ce forum ! :)
    Euh... Sauf qu'il s'agit ici de retrouver un homme (him), si j'ai bien compris...
    (pour moi aussi il s'agirait d'une référence au fil qu'Ariane avait donné à Thésée pour qu'il retrouve son chemin dans le labyrinthe)

7. murasame New Member

Paris
    French
    Bonjour KArine !

Alors je n'ai pas saisi le "ton" de l'intrigue...

Mais il est possible qu'il s'agisse du fil d'ariane et que la jeune fille trouve cela romantique en ce que la mythologie semble avoir une certaine résonnance dans son esprit...

8. KaRiNe_Fr

KaRiNe_Fr Senior Member

France, Provence
    Ah si si, tu as peut-être tout à fait saisi le ton !
    Mais c'est juste que ça ne collerait pas vraiment avec le dialogue du début :
    Soit y'aurait un homme au bout du fil de "ton" tampon (!) soit il y a une typo dans le dialogue... soit c'est moi qui n'ai rien compris ! :D

9. Cath.S.

Cath.S. Senior Member

Bretagne, France
    français de France
    Et puis comme romantisme, ça se pose un peu là ! :D

10. madolo Senior Member

My two cents :
    I do not think that the legend of Ariane is common knowledge among French teenagers.
    The girl may have tampons in mind and her "comme c'est romantique" might be ironical.

11. KaRiNe_Fr

KaRiNe_Fr Senior Member

France, Provence
    Ah, là, avec l'ironie, c'est plus plausible... Faudrait voir la tête de la fille qui disait ça dans la BD. ;)
    Par contre, sans avoir été entourée de génies, quand j'étais teen — a loooong time ago :rolleyes: — tous mes potes connaissaient l'histoire du fil d'Ariane...
    On ne sait jamais où le romantisme peut aller se nicher... :rolleyes:

Edit: Oh ! Mais je vois que c'est un vieux fil déterré... Rosalind es-tu toujours là ?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  12. mgarizona

mgarizona Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    US - American English
    It being common knowledge is not the question. It resonating with a particularly romantically-minded individual is, and is entirely plausible. The tale of Ariadne being moved by the love (at first sight) that she felt for Theseus to defy her father and her homeland is a potent one. Any young girl with a taste for such things might surely make the connection. Though one wonders if she's aware how the story ends?

13. doodlebugger Senior Member

France
    Things may have changed but in my days (oh do I hate the sound of that!) every 14 years old French student would have heard about Ariane, Hercules, Pegasus, Icarus and the basic stories of Iliad and Odyssey.

14. bloomiegirl

bloomiegirl Senior Member

New York
    US English
    C'est peut-être romantique car il s'agit d'une chasse au trésor, d'une aventure?

15. murasame New Member

Paris
    French
    At the end of the day, me may have a clue if we could actually read the comics hereabove mentioned...