sulla base di tale dependenza... sul piano internazionale

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by phillyitalianstudent, Oct 26, 2007.

1. phillyitalianstudent Senior Member

Philadelphia
    English, U.S.A.
    I am trying to understand the grammatical construction ("sulla base di tale dependenza... e sul piano internazionale") in the following sentence:

L'esame di questa concezione ci permette di spiegare sulla base di tale dipendenza la complessiva irrelevanza della trascorsa psicologia italiana in termini scientifici e sul piano internazionale.

Here is my attempt at a translation:

The examination of this conception permits us to explain the complete irrelevance of the Italian psychology of the past in scientific terms on the basis of such dependency and on the international level.

Can anyone help me improve upon this?

2. TimLA

TimLA Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English - US
    I won't improve it, but it's interesting enough that I'll give it a shot and probably learn something.

L'esame di questa concezione ci permette di spiegare sulla base di tale dipendenza la complessiva irrelevanza della trascorsa psicologia italiana in termini scientifici e sul piano internazionale.

The examination of this design allows us to explain, based on the described dependence, the comprehensive irrelevance of previous Italian psychology in scientific terms, and on the international level.

I've left it more literal, and made some minor word changes.
    I think the "final" text might depend on the text before and after.
    Good sentence!

sulla base di tale dependenza...- I went with "based on" just for flow.
    sul piano internazionale. I'm hoping that this is straight-forward

Let's see what the experts say!