sumou o tottari shite asonde-imashita

Discussion in '日本語 (Japanese)' started by John_Doe, Apr 10, 2013.

1. John_Doe Senior Member

Kazakhstan
    Russian
    Here's another phrase from the textbook that caught me by surprise. The thing is the author explains in the grammar section the -tari form, giving the pattern 'V-tari, ...V-tari shimasu/shimashita'. Ok, in the respective reading section there are sentences obeying the pattern, e.g. 'それから こかげで 歌を 歌ったり、 ハーモニカを ふいたりしました。' Then, I got that して 遊んでいました instead of just しました. I suppose, して is a form of する (as しました is), 遊ぶ is play, obviously, and yet I can't figure out why the sentence in question should end like that.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  2. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    して is the te-form of する as you guessed, and the change is just for the aspect of the sentence.
    歌を歌ったり、ハーモニカをふいたり しました。 simple past tense.
    ボールを投げたり、すもうをとったり しました。 simple past tense.
    ボールを投げたり、すもうをとったり して いました。 aspect changed to past progressive, now they "were doing".
    ボールを投げたり、すもうをとったり して 遊んでいました。 "were playing" and ~して is explaining how.
    I hope that makes sense to you. (I assume you have already learned ~て+います/いました at earlier lessons.)

3. John_Doe Senior Member

Kazakhstan
    Russian
    Frankly, not much. 遊んでいました is quite understandable, but what does して mean? Could it be ommited? I'm hoping you can provide some more explanations and maybe examples.

For all it's worth, both V-te-imasu and V-tari are given in that lesson )

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  4. Tonky Senior Member

Japanese
    No, you cannot ommit して there because it is from V-tari, V-tari shimasu.
    (V1-tari, V2-tari shimasu -> V1-tari, V2-tari shite /it is modifying the main verb 遊んでいました there.)

「ボールを投げます」+「すもうをとります」+etc →「ボールを投げたり、すもうをとったり します」
     "throw a ball" + "play sumo" +etc -> "do things such as throwing a ball and playing sumo"
     「ボールを投げたり、すもうをとったり します」+「遊びます」→「ボールを投げたり、すもうをとったり して 遊びます」
     "throw a ball and play sumo" + "play" -> "play (by doing things such as) throwing a ball and playing sumo"

Is this ↑ understandable?

ゲームをしたり、友達の家へ行ったり して 過ごす spend time (by) playing games and visiting friend's house and such.
    漢字を練習したり、ラジオを聴いたり して 日本語を勉強する study Japanese by practicing kanji and listening to radio and such

What kind of explanations and examples are you expecting to see? Do you understand the original V-te-imasu/imashita and V-tari form?

5. John_Doe Senior Member

Kazakhstan
    Russian
    So it's just an advanced variation of the same pattern.
    Yes, I do. The author explained them quite well (except for the V1-tari shite V2-mashita thing, of course).
    The examples and explanations you've already given are enough. Thanks a lot. Now, I can proceed with untangling the next lesson )