1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Support for Safari

Discussion in 'Comments and Suggestions' started by haapi, Nov 5, 2012.

1. haapi Junior Member

Paris
    English, USA
    Hi--
    Do you have any shortcuts supported by Safari? I use the Firefox one, which is great, but I also use the Safari browser. Thanks in advance.

2. fenixpollo

fenixpollo Mod Chicken

Arizona
    American English
    Are you trying to use a particular shortcut that doesn't work with the forum's vBulletin software?

3. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    I think you're talking about a Safari equivalent to our Firefox and Chrome search shortcuts?

This older thread may help, though I am not sure how current the information is: Toolbar for Safari

:)

4. haapi Junior Member

Paris
    English, USA
    Hello there--and thanks for replying. I am not sure of the tech details, but on firefox, all I have to do is enter the term "fren" into my search bar, followed by the word I want to translate, then press enter. That takes me straight to the WR page of the french>>>english translation (which is what I programmed when setting up the shortcut) of the word. I want to know if something similar is available on Safari.

Hello---please see my reply to fenixpollo. I checked out your link and it looks quite complicated, but I will certainly try and report back.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  5. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    No, I'm afraid there is no direct equivalent on Safari, because the Safari browser does not support these kinds of search shortcuts.

Intead, you need to install a plug-in (like the Inquisitor plug-in mentioned in my link above, or the Glims plug-in, etc.) that will allow you to add custom searches or extra search engines. Please do report back, we'll be happy to help as best we can. :)