Surge breaks actuador

Discussion in 'Specialized Terminology' started by Milliemu, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Milliemu Junior Member

Argentina
    castellano, Argentina
    In the chapter describing a trailer I can see a figure and a reference: "Surge breaks actuador".
    How can I translate this? There must be some typo. Later on it says: "
    [h=4]Trailer’sstandard tongue coupler is with an actuator and hydraulic brake assembly. The‘surge’ or push of the trailer toward the vehicle during decelerationautomatically synchronizes the trailer brakes with the vehicle braking action.[/h][h=4]El acoplador de lengüeta estándar del remolque estáequipado con un ensamblaje/montaje de frenos hidráulicos y accionador. La sobrecarga o el empuje del remolque hacia el vehículodurante la desaceleración sincroniza automáticamente los frenos del remolquecon la acción de frenado del vehículo.[/h]

Thank you so much!

2. Turrialba Junior Member

English / USA
    It is a typo. It should be "surge-brake actuator". Just translate it "ensamblaje de accionador de frenos". I have used this system and it doesn´t work well and is impossible to adjust correctly.

3. Milliemu Junior Member

Argentina
    castellano, Argentina
    Thank you, Turrialba. But what about the word "surge"? Should I ignore it?

4. Turrialba Junior Member

English / USA
    There are names for braking systems such as frenos de aire, frenos hidráulicos, frenos eléctricos. In each of these cases, reference is made to the power source that moves the brake pads into contact with the drum. In the case of surge brakes, the "surge" is not that power source. The momentum of the trailer pushing against the towing vehicle operates a hydraulic system which is the power source in question. The other problem is that the word "surge" refers to a sudden increase in something, but it is translated differently in each case. For instance, you have used the translation "sobrecarga". This refers to an electrical surge, like the kind that you protect your computer from by using a surge protector (regleta). I guess the surge brakes are activated by momentum and this is what the inventor of this device referred to with the word surge. So it is really a momentum-activated brake. Momentum is commonly called "impulso" in Spanish. "freno de impulso", however, sounds stupid. It sounds like I am slamming on my brakes for no real reason, just because I feel like it. In physics, momentum is "momento", but "frenos de momento" sounds stupid, also. It sounds like your brakes will only work for a couple of seconds.

I guess I would call it "frenos de lengüeta" because this is where the actuator is located. How about "Accionador de frenos de lengüeta"? It doesn´t sound good either, but I don´t know what else to call it. I guess this is why I avoided the word "surge" in my first response.

5. Milliemu Junior Member

Argentina
    castellano, Argentina
    Thank you, Turrialba. I guess I´ll forget about the surge in Activador de frenos. I´ll have to work on the word in the other context. Anyway it says "surger" or push so, if I can´t figure out anything else, I´ll just forget it too. Thanks again!

6. Milliemu Junior Member

Argentina
    castellano, Argentina
    I wonder if surge brakes are frenos inerciales.