1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

surname Moskos

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by lcfatima, Jun 2, 2013.

1. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    I do not know the Magyar spelling, but can you tell the meaning of the surname Moskos? Is it a common Hungarian family name?

2. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Hello Icfatima,

I'm afraid I cannot think of any surname that could correspond, so it is surely not a common family name.
    Are you sure it is not a nickname of some sort?
    There is an adjective (mocskos meaning dirty) that could be pronounced in English similarly but it is so negative that I don't think it's likely to be a family name.

3. NagyKiss Senior Member

It's borderline offtopic, but I'm really curious as to how "dirty" can a family name in Hungary get, because in Russia there are almost no limits to this. There are last names you wouldn't believe, and I always wondered how people could live with names like that.

4. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    It is not likely, NagyKiss, this is why I was wondering about it as a nickname - which is no more flattering but at least it is more likely - at least in theory.
    (I think, in any case, it must be something else because it is not very likely either way to be a Hungarian name of any sort.)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  5. francisgranada Senior Member

Slovakia
    Hungarian
    It seems to me that the surname Moskos is of Geek origin. (I've found some people of Greek origin with this surname on the internet ).

6. Akitlosz Senior Member

Hungary
    Hungarian
    "Is it a common Hungarian family name?"

No. I've never heard Moskos.

It's either a foreign surname (Greek?) or wrongly written name.

7. lcfatima Senior Member

In a teapot
    English USA
    It turns out the Magyar spelling was Mocskos. It is my relative and I found her baptism records. Does it really mean dirty? I wonder why she would have such a surname.

8. Olivier0 Senior Member

Toulouse
    français - France
  9. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Olivier, :thumbsup:.
    Obviously it exists. But then there are some family names with negative meaning that do (exist) even if it is difficult to know why people want to keep them.
    I know that in some cases they originate from misspelling but in this case I cannot think of any other word that could be misspelt like this.
    (And yes, it means dirty, or rather: filthy.)