1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

survive mercifully

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by walerj gad, Jun 20, 2014.

1. walerj gad New Member

french
    As a holocaust memorial tattoo, instead of getting my grandfathers serial number i would rather write one or two meaningful words, to the effect that no mental or physical prison truly impedes our liberty. I was thinking "survive mercifully" as a gentle but bracing reminder. What would be the best translation of this?

2. Agiii

Agiii Senior Member

Polish
    Although you do explain the context I don't understand how "survive mercifully" relates to "the effect that no mental or physical prison truly impedes our liberty". Could you please explain a bit more what your tatoo is to mean?

3. kknd Senior Member

Polska / Poland
    polski / Polish
    i must say i've seen such phrases before ('… mercifully') but i couldn't understand them well—the same here—word 'mercifully' has meaning 'maybe cruel but not delivering suffer', checking the dictionary: 'in a kind or merciful [i.e. forgiving] way' and 'compassionate, giving relief'. those seem to be little bit off for me (łaskawie przeżyć? quite strange…).

another meaning—maybe the one—is 'in a good or lucky way' or 'fortunately' then it would be probably just szcześliwie przeżyć which would be then understood rather as 'survive successfully/fortunately/luckily'. i guess that this might be intended meaning and suggest to wait for more opinions/suggestions.