suum eius

Discussion in 'Lingua Latina (Latin)' started by voltape, Jun 1, 2013.

1. voltape Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Peruvian Spanish/USA English
    Psalmus 35
    Lóquitur iníquitas ad impium in corde eius*
    non es timor Dei ante óculos eius
    Etenim in mente sua blanditur sibi*
    Non deprehendi culpam suam neque abhorreri.
    Verba oris ejus iníquitas et dolus*
    désiit sápere at ágere bene.
    Iniquitatem meditatur in cubíli suo*

I have found Psalm 35 in the Pius XII's Pian Version. I see they use eius and suus. I understand they all mean "his" and I have a certain idea of the difference, but these "his" they all seem to be to be doing the same job. Couldn´t it all be "ejus" or in any case all "suam, suo"?

I'll appreciate any idea.
  2. asanga Member

The reflexive possessive pronoun suus always refers back to the subject of the sentence. In the first line, the subject of the sentence is iniquitas, therefore in corde suo would mean "in its [iniquity's] heart", while in corde eius means "in his heart".

The second line is probably a spelling mistake for non est timor Dei ante oculos eius. "There is no fear of God before his eyes." Again, timor is the subject, so we cannot use suus. Non es timor Dei ante óculos eius would mean "You are not fear of God before His [God's] eyes", which makes no sense.

In etenim in mente sua blanditur sibi "since he deceives himself in his own mind", the subject is not expressed, but from the use of suus we know that it must be the sinner, and not iniquitas from the first line.

The rest follows the same pattern.
  3. voltape Senior Member

Lima, Peru
    Peruvian Spanish/USA English
    Thank you very much, Asanga. Very clever. I had not noticed all that. I'll keep polishing my Latin.
  4. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013