Swedish: idag/i dag

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Halfdan, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Halfdan Junior Member

Canadian English
    Hej,

I'm a little confused with the spelling variants of words like idag/i dag, imorgon/i morgon, igår/i går, etc.
    After searching around, it seems that both forms are widely spread and most people stick to one form. So, what I'm asking is: which of the two is generally considered more formal, if either?

2. Lugubert Senior Member

Göteborg
    Swedish
    Both are correct according to Svenska akademiens ordlista, but it lists the separated expressions as the main entries.. A professor of Swedish wrote in 2003 that she herself writes i dag, but no longer reacts when other people write idag. I, too, prefer i dag, irrespective of style. It might be a factor that she and I both are 70 years old.

3. Tjahzi

Tjahzi Senior Member

Umeå, Sweden
    Swedish (Göteborg)
    Like Lugubert says, the forms are equally used and the great majority of people won't even notice which one you go for. Personally, I regard the fact that I pronounce the word as one as an argument for the contracted form and hence use that one.

4. Halfdan Junior Member

Canadian English
    Thank you both for your input.

5. JohanIII

JohanIII Senior Member

Switzerland
    Swedish
    TT-språket (TT is a well renowned news agency in Sweden) recommends "i dag", though I totally agree with Tjahzi's reasoning for writing "idag", with the same reasoning för "imorgon" (spoken: "imorron") and "igår" (and "i övermorgon", "i förrgår" - i.e. based on pronunciation).

Whatever you choose - stick to it within the same text.

6. ramram New Member

Swedish
    I don't know what pronouncing "i dag" as "one word" really means, as you don't normally separate any words in speech (have a look at the waveform of a recording of someone talking). I'd say I pronounce "i alla fall" and "i år" as "one word" as much as "i dag". And speaking of "i år", one argument for using "i dag" is consistency, as you would never write "iår".

7. Tjahzi

Tjahzi Senior Member

Umeå, Sweden
    Swedish (Göteborg)
    The trick to separate words in daily speech is to keep track of the stress. Non-compound words do only contain one stressed syllable, and while it's not uncommon for the i in i år to be stressed (this can be seen through the vowel quality not being reduced from to [ɪ]), you hardly ever hear someone pronouncing idag as ['i:dɑː(g)] (but rather [ɪ'dɑː(g)]).

8. JohanIII

JohanIII Senior Member

Switzerland
    Swedish
    Speaking about consistency, and this being a Nordic forum: IIRC Danish doesn't allow idag.
    Not that that small consistency across that border helps much ;) :D .