Swedish: Let the wrong ones go

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by doandroidsdream, Nov 7, 2012.

1. doandroidsdream New Member

English
    Hello everybody,

I am currently trying to translate the following phrase from English to Swedish:

Let the Right One In
    Let the Wrong Ones Go
    Let the Old Dreams Die

(from Morrisey's Let the Right One Slip In!)

So far, I have:

Låt den rätte komma in
    Låt de felaktiga går
    Låt de gamla drömmarna dö

However, I don't think the middle line is right, and I'm unsure what the translation for 'wrong ones' might be - rather than 'error'!

If anyone can help me out this would be much appreciated- I'm currently using the lyrics for a piece of artwork, based on John Ajvide Lindqvist's novel but have only read the English translation of the novel & am a little worried about getting the wording wrong, apologies in advance if my translation so far is horrendously bad!

Many thanks,

2. Wilma_Sweden

Wilma_Sweden Moderatös

Lund, Sweden
    Swedish (Scania)
    I'm not sure whether the author bothered to use any line but the first, I haven't read the book. All three lines are too much for one topic, so I've changed the title to topicalise the second line, which is the most problematic. I also don't know what Morrissey had in mind for "the right one" and "the wrong ones", this may make all the difference. If you have any ideas, please post them here. Then perhaps some (poetic-minded) Swedish forer@ may have some ideas.

Please open new threads for the first and third line, as and when needed.

/Wilma

3. JohanIII

JohanIII Senior Member

Switzerland
    Swedish
    Actually the order seems to be:

Let the Right One In
    Let the Old Dreams Die
    Let the Wrong Ones Go

...which might affect interpretation.

If you first spell out what he means, in plain English, then Ill help out ;)

4. Giski New Member

Swedish - neutral
    If you'd like it to sound a bit poetic you could try:
    "Låt den rätte komma in
    Låt de andra gå
    Låt gamla drömmar förgå"