Swedish: My mother is from Sweden, and she speaks Swedish at home.

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Atlus, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Atlus Member

OK I have a little problem. Two Swedish girls are coming to visit me a for a couple of days, and they speak little to no English. My mother speaks Swedish and I need to be able to tell them that they can defer to her on all language issues.

I need to able to say:

My mother is from Sweden, and she speaks Swedish at home.
    Google says the translation is: Min mor är från Sverige, och hon talar svenska hemma.

Is that correct? Please help me..... I am at a loss here.

Thanks so much..... it is a pity I never picked up the language from her.
  2. janne273 New Member

Sweden, swedish
    I find it hard to believe that Swedish girls speak little to no English.. How old are they 13-14? If they are 17-18 there is no way they could have gone through the Swedish educational system without picking up a rudimentary understanding of English. If they are in their early teens I could understand that there was a problem, but not if they are in their late teens..

However back to your Q.. The sentence is correct but I suggest you use "mamma" instead of "mor" which is a more informal word for mother.. I'm 46 myself and "mor" is something I would expect an older generation would have used about their mothers or quite possibly someone with a bourgeois upbringing, where they would use certain forms to distinguish themselves from the rest of us lower to middle class ppl :p
  3. Wilma_Sweden

Wilma_Sweden Moderatös

Lund, Sweden
    Swedish (Scania)
    Like janne, I find it extremely hard to believe that these girls shouldn't be able to get along in English. Kids usually rise to the occasion, so if the parents aren't around, they're even more likely to try to put at least a few sentences together.

Swedish schools tend to teach British English, and they start around the age of 8 or 9, so if they don't understand you, it might be your accent rather than English itself that is the problem. Try the Queen's English before resorting to dictionaries or your mum! But it's never too late, why not get a crash course in Swedish from her? :D

I also concur with janne about the Swedish word for mother: mor sounds pompous and old-fashioned, although my mum did use it about her parents but with her own children she's always referred to herself as mamma. She certainly belongs to that older generation janne is referring to... :p

4. Shtoops

Shtoops New Member

Give me a break, please. I know ALOT of Swedish people in their late teens who speak NO english at all. Not everyone is that educated, most of my friends failed english classes actually (they did fail at pretty much everything in school though)

But i would probably think that most Swedish kids understand english.

Also, you should say "morsa" not "mor", mor sounds to pompus i agree. But mamma sounds to childish. Use morsa, since that is what most teens in Sweden call their mothers. I actually use mor sometimes though, i kinda like the sound of that word :)
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  5. Wilma_Sweden

Wilma_Sweden Moderatös

Lund, Sweden
    Swedish (Scania)
    For what? Nobody said ALL Swedish kids could speak fluent English, did they?

Yeah, sure, if you're a teenager yourself. It sounds out of place from an adult person. I used to say that myself sometimes, but I grew out of it...:D