Swedish: past participle without auxiliary

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Elektrisk564, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Elektrisk564 Junior Member

English - American
    Hi. I was reading this post by chance and I noticed the author used the p.p. form of her verbs often, and without the auxiliaries 'hade/har'. Can someone explain why this is okay, or if she's just incorrect in doing so? Is it part of a dialect? I have included the passage and bolded what I am uncertain of. Please forgive the nature of her writing. This is copied from an advice column.

2. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    This subject has been discussed at this forum quite recently.

3. Tjahzi

Tjahzi Senior Member

Umeå, Sweden
    Swedish (Göteborg)
    This habit of omitting the auxiliary could be described as informal and occurs frequently in spoken language, especially among younger speakers. It's interesting to note that it further blurs the distinction between the subjunctive and the (indicative) supine.

And yes, those forms are supine, not past participle.

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    But it is already obligatory in subordinate clauses, also in print, isn't it?

5. Tjahzi

Tjahzi Senior Member

Umeå, Sweden
    Swedish (Göteborg)
    Sorry, what is obligatory?

Ahh, the auxiliary I suppose. Well, "obligatory" is a very relative term and there is really no line between formal and informal and as such it's hard to say where and where not this usage may appear. It won't make it into juridical or scientific language, but other than that, pretty much everything is possible.

6. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    No, skipping the auxiliary. In virtually all Swedish texts on Internet the auxiliary is skipped in subordinate clauses.

7. Kerr1gan Junior Member

Swedish
    Wow I take it there's no problem to put explicit material on this forum?