Swedish: salted caramel heart

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Riveritos, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Riveritos Senior Member

I have this Chocolate soufflé with salted caramel heart and need to translate the name into Swedish.
    Is this description correct?
    Choklad souffle med hjärta av saltade sockerkulör

Does anybody have a better suggestion?

Thanks in advance
  2. JohanIII

JohanIII Senior Member

Chokladsufflé - possibly Chokladsoufflé with Kitchenfrench spelling.

You don't need to mention "salted" as in the Nordic countries that is the normal - unless it is more than 2%.

Describe the filling, please, as it's not clear to me what it is.
    (do that in the Danish question, too)
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  3. Riveritos Senior Member

Thank you Johan III
    The caramel is made with salted butter, is dense, not as liquid as a syrup.
    It's important to say that it's made with salted butter because it's a little salty, please don't ask me how it tastes.
    Are there grammar mistakes in my phrase?
    Chokladsufflé med hjärta av saltade sockerkulör

Or maybe it's better
    Chokladsufflé med saltade sockerkulör hjärta
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. JohanIII

JohanIII Senior Member

Sockerkulör is sugar heated to give it a brown to black colour, used mainly for colouring as the word implies.

As I said, if it's made with salted butter, that's the standard where this text is readable.
    If you ever want unsalted butter for any reason, that is available, but in small quantities, you have to look for it.
    I know it's the other way around in many other countries (living in Switzerland, I miss it).
    Or else we do it with cream and brown sugar-syrup, which is also a bit salty.

We have specific words for some variants of "caramel", so please - more info.
    Karamell could do, but also means bon-bon, so perhaps a better word could be "kola" - depends.

Chokladsufflé med (salt [if needed]) karamellfyllning, is the normal way of putting it, unless you want a more flowery language.

You would be best off if some chef or at least gourmet could comment :) .
  5. Cagey post mod

English - US
    I lack all knowledge of Swedish, but I can tell you that lately there has been a fashion in the US of adding salt to sweets like caramel, and even chocolate. (I believe we adopted this from French-made Fleur de Sel Caramels.) Sometimes they sprinkle salt on top. There is more of a distinctly salty taste than you get by simply using salted butter.

I am only saying this in support of Riverito's feeling that 'salty' needs to be an explicit part of the translation.
  6. JohanIII

JohanIII Senior Member

Ah, true - I recently ate dark chocolate (this being Switzerland) with sea-salt flakes!
    I suppose then there also might be a PR-value to including that, if it's a fad in Sweden too.
    Though you wouldn't want it to jar with expectations, and as we do use salted butter for our caramels...
    So you still can use it if it's salty enough - is the only answer, but what enough is is another question.
  7. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    I looked up a similar recipe with salt caramel filling, and as the recipe used 1 tablespoon salt and 1 stick butter (113 g), the best way to describe it would be Chokladsufflé med salt karamellfyllning/kolafyllning, as JohanIII suggested.