1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Swedish: sjuk

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Alxmrphi, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Hej allihopa,

Jag har en fråga :)
    Is the varying pronunciation of sjuk dialectal? Also, is it more standardised in the compound sjukdom or not? In some lessons I've heard (what I thought was standard) /ɧʉk/ but I also heard /ʃʉkdo:m/ (i.e. here) and for a while I just accepted in one way (sjuk) it had the typical sj- (/ɧ/) sound and maybe in a compound it was just /ʃ/, but then in another lesson some says "Jag är sjuk" with /ʃʉk/. So, is it variable or dialectal, and does that go for the compound word as well or is that just as variable as 'sjuk' by itself?

Tack.

2. JohanIII

JohanIII Senior Member

Switzerland
    Swedish
    The sh sound in Swedish is a dialectal matter of a main matter, that has its own discussions, I'm sure.

3. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you mean exactly? Do you mean /ɧ/ is the standard, then? What exactly does 'main matter' refer to? A wider tendency?
    Thanks.

4. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    The pronunciation of the sj-sound in Swedish varies depending on where you come from, the /ɧ/ is standard in middle of Sweden (Mellansverige, Stockholm and surrounding areas), in other parts of Sweden the pronunciation differs, not depending on if it's a compound word or not. Here you can read about some of the dialectal variations: http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sj-ljudet I don't know how it is for others, but I can pronounce the sj-sound in two or three different ways for the same word depending whether I try to speak a more "correct" Swedish or more dialectal.

5. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Thanks AutumnOwl, that clears it up a lot. So, if one was hypothetically moving to Stockholm, it'd be more sensible to get used to using /ɧ/ for sj- in a more default way (i.e. beyond just these words), but also good to be aware of the other? Is this strictly a geographic trait or could it be a social one, as well?

6. SharpBlade

SharpBlade Junior Member

Stockholm
    Swedish
    I live about 10 minutes away(with the subway) from Stockholm City and I use the ɧ-sound for these words. It indeed seems to be the most common here but every now and then I hear people from the Stockholm region who use the ʃ-sound. I can also add that in old movies from the 1940's they seem to use the ʃ-sound all the time, or at least for the most part. That isn't the case nowadays though.

7. AutumnOwl

AutumnOwl Senior Member

Sweden
    Swedish - Sweden, Finnish
    One page where you can listen to different dialects is SveDia, http://swedia.ling.gu.se/index.html , it's a university linguistics project, you can both listen, read the text in Swedish and see the text transcribed. It gives an idea of the variation of the Swedish dialects.

I would say that dialects is a mix of geographic and social traits and also depending on the age of the speaker, the older the speaker, the more dialectal their language. The proper Swedish spoken in Stockholm/Uppsala and the area around there have become considered being standard Swedish, much due to the impact of the television as from the late 50ies and on all of the TV presenters and news readers spoke that dialect, it took a long time before there were TV presenters that spoke with a noticeable dialect.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  8. Alxmrphi Senior Member

Reykjavík, Ísland
    UK English
    Thanks everyone. That's exactly what I was hoping to find out. :thumbsup: