1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Swedish: zinc-plated

Discussion in 'Nordic Languages' started by Emerald Green, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Emerald Green

Emerald Green Junior Member

Italian
    Hi everyone,

I need to translate in Swedish the word "zinc-plated" that is a specific treatment for iron tools.
    I have searched the word on the dictonary but I found only "zincified" that in Swedish is translated with the word "förzinkad". Given that tha contest is quite technical I am not sure that förzinkad works as a translation for the word "zinc-plated.

What do you think?

Best Regards

2. Kadabrium Junior Member

Mandarin Chinese
  3. Emerald Green

Emerald Green Junior Member

Italian
    Kabarium! it works!! Thanks!
    But at this point I have another question: what is the meaning of "förzinkad"??

4. Kadabrium Junior Member

Mandarin Chinese
    ^Wikipedia uses that word, so I suppose it is more than valid.
    Det finns ett antal olika metoder för att förzinka stål eller järnföremål

5. JohanIII

JohanIII Senior Member

Switzerland
    Swedish
    För-zink-ad - as an explanatory parallell I give you kort (short) and förkortad (shortened).

Förzinkad is the more common term in usage - and in meaning, as it covers all application forms.

Pläterad = plated, that's quite correct, though that (as is plated) is a usually thinner coating, most often (always for zink) applied by the use of electricity (galvaniserad).

It's a thinner, and so less protective coating, which I would not expect to be used on iron tools, only for things with dry, indoors use.
    (I see before me a hand-tool, a spanner/wrench, though "tool" does have a wide meaning.)
    Those would be varmförzinkade, i.e. dipped in zink-melt.

Kadabrium - tips: använd .se-google om du googlar svenska.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013