sweet potato

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Dublabla, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Dublabla

Dublabla Senior Member

Bonjour a tous

J'ai entendu dire qu'il y a tellment de mots (en chinois)qui veut dire "patate douce". Alors, J'espere que quelqun qui est au courant de cela pouvait me donner un coup de mains...S'il vous plait~!!

I once heard that there are various words in mandarin chinese, which means 'Sweet potato'.
    So, Is there anybody who could tell me about that?
  2. samanthalee

samanthalee Senior Member

Mandarin, English - [Singapore]
    The name we give for "sweet potato" varies from region to region.

In Singapore "sweet potato" is known as 蕃薯. Mention any other alternative names will probably yield you blank looks.

You can find a list of its Chinese names in wikipedia here:http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/甘薯
  3. windstear New Member

China Chinese
    people from different parts of China use different words to express "sweet potato".For example, “地瓜”(because it is grown in earth,means"地下面的瓜"),“红薯”(some kinds of sweet potato are red inside,especially those sold in winter in Beijing)
  4. avlee

avlee Senior Member

Suzhou, China
    Chinese - P.R.C.
    We call it as 山芋。
  5. windstear New Member

China Chinese
    yes,the people live in Suzhou usually call it "山芋" or "甜山芋"
  6. Dublabla

Dublabla Senior Member

I feel really grateful that You everybody help me get out of the trouble I've got in.
    Thankyou ~~
  7. Chcatcx New Member

In Northern China we call sweet potato as ganshu甘薯 or hongshu红薯
  8. lzgxp2005 New Member

Normalement, on l'appelle 番薯 ou 甘薯,et parfois 饭苕
  9. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    The botanical name is 甘薯。

In my hometown in Southern Zhejiang, they are called 番薯/蕃薯。I think the same in Taiwan?

地瓜 seems the most common word in the North, and quite common in the written language (e.g. packed sweet potato snacks).

In Beijing it's weird.
    Real Beijingers call it 白薯.
    But people selling baked sweet potatoes on the street call it 烤地瓜. While restaurants call the congee 红薯粥.
    So all people selling the baked ones and the congees are 外地人?:D

So, I think the most understood words in China are, in order:
  10. Jerry Chan Senior Member

Hong Kong
    Cantonese, Hokkien
    It's called 番薯 in both Cantonese and Hokkien, so I'd put it a bit higher in the order.
  11. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

Hard to say. In Beijing we do call it 白薯. Can't see where it appears 白 though.
    And what is 饭苕??
  12. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    I don't like 白薯 either because it's homophone with 白鼠 :D
    But it seems that nowadays in Beijing 地瓜 and 红薯 are preferred in the written language and in shops/restaurants. Maybe because of the many 外地人?

On the Internet some people say that they distinguish between 白薯 (while inside) and 红薯 (red inside)...

饭苕 and 山芋 are very regional terms...