Sync up with

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Argos77, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Argos77 Senior Member

Colombia-Español
    Hi
    Sync Up with Windows Mobile

Windows Mobile software gives you the power to be in sync and up-to-date with the information you need.

What does mean "sync up"?

Thank you very much!

2. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Sync is short for synchronize. This literally means to match in time or run in time together—in step. For example "synchronize your watches", which means to make sure the watches all say the same time. In technology terms it means to update two (or more) data sources so that they are equal. For example, two computer folders can be kept synchronized so that any files added to one folder are automatically copied to the other; or if a file is deleted from one, it is automatically deleted from the other.

In the topic sense it probably means something like kept updated with the latest changes in information. For example, you can sync a mobile device with your electronic calendar or e-mail on you desktop computer, so that they both have the same data.

3. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    The 'up' is telling you to do something, in this case to synchronize. "Listen up!" tells you to listen to the command which will follow. "Smarten up" tells you that you have to be smarter.

4. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    Sorry, I didn't address the actual phrase "sync up". I don't see the "up" in the same way as Elwintree. I think it's just used in the same way as in "join up", "hook up", etc., where "up" more or less means "with", the object being implied to be another computer, data source, etc.

5. Elwintee Senior Member

London England
    England English
    Yes, MMole, on reflection I think you are right. I was viewing the phrase as advertising hype rather than a sober suggestion to the purchaser!

6. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Windows Mobile software gives you the power to be in sync and up-to-date with the information you need.

In sync -
    which I would write as in synch = synchronised, in step with, up-to-date with.

The headline uses "Sync up" - which I take to be headline-speak for "get in synch" - be up-to-date :)