1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Syrian Arabic / MSA: to focus

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by jmt356, Dec 27, 2012.

1. jmt356 Senior Member

As in, “I am focusing on my homework.”

Is the verbركّز or تركّز?

According to the WordReference English-Arabic dictionary (see http://www.wordreference.com/enar/focus) ركّز is the transitive verb and يركّز is the intransitive verb. However, I believe the latter is an error; it is simply ركّز conjugated in the imperfect third person masculine singular form (e.g., هو يركّز).

I therefore believe the Babylon translation of تركّز (Derived Form 5) is the correct translation of the intransitive verb “focus.”

Hence, I believe the proper translation of “I am focusing on my homework” would be:

أنا متركّز على واجبي المنزلي
    Not:
    أنا مركّز على واجبي المنزلي.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  2. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    In MSA it's neither; it would be أركز على واجبي المدرسي

3. jmt356 Senior Member

Is the verb then ركّز and not تركّز?

Also, I believe أركز على واجبي المدرسي means “I focus on my homework.”
    To get “I am focusing on my homework,” you would need to use the active participle.

If the verb is ركز (Form I), the active participle would be راكز.
    If the verb is ركّز (Form II), the active participle would be مركّز.
    If the verb is تركّز (Form V), the active participle would be متركّز.

4. jmt356 Senior Member

I have consulted a few resources and this is what I have concluded:

-رَكَزَ (Form I) is not a word;
    -رَكَّزَ (Form II) means to concentrate, in the sense of focusing, such as on study. E.g.: علي أن أُرَكِّزُ على هذا الدرس
    - تَرَكَّزَ (Form V) means to be concentrated, as in one place (e.g., the refugees were concentrated in the center of the city).

Therefore, I conclude that the correct translation is:
    أُرَكِّزُ على واجبي المدرسي (imperfect)
    إنِّي مُرَكِّز على واجبي المدرسي (active participle, giving a sense of an ongoing act)

5. tounsi51 Senior Member

Dubai
    French-Arabic
    Please note housework is different from homework

6. jmt356 Senior Member

Actually, I just consulted the Hans Wehr dictionary and must amend my above findings: رَكَزَ (Form I) is actually a word, and it means to plant or ram in the ground.

These are the derivations of رَكَزَ:

-رَكَزَ (Form I): to plant or ram in the ground; set up
    -رَكَّزَ (Form II): to concentrate, in the sense of focusing, such as on study. E.g.: علي أن أُرَكِّزُ على هذا الدرس
    - تَرَكَّزَ (Form V): to be concentrated, as in one place (e.g., the refugees were concentrated in the center of the city).
    - اِرْتَكَزَ (Form VIII): to be implanted; to settle permanently, stay (at a place).