Syrian: small /é/ sound at the beginning of some words

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by WannaBFluent, Feb 17, 2014.

1. WannaBFluent

WannaBFluent Senior Member

French (فرنسي)
    السلام عليكم

I have heard a Syrian who adds a small /é/ sound at the beginning of some words (like a helping vowel), even if there is no alif. Can you confirm that?

منزم
    émnazam

تشوف
    étshuuf

I wonder why? Is it because the word start with a sukun on the first letter? But there are a lot of words that start with it and I didn't hear the same phenomenon.

تلاقي
    tlaa2ii

كتير
    ktiir

كتاب
    ktaab

And a lot more!

بارك الله فيك

2. k8an Senior Member

Melbourne, Australia.
    English - Australian
    I'm not sure if you mean about when these words are spoken alone or as part of a sentence, but when part of a sentence this is quite normal (at least in Lebanese).

Eg: فيك تشوف...
    Feek étshuuf...

3. WannaBFluent

French (فرنسي)
    No, I meant when these words are spoken alone, sorry I didn't precise that, my mistake. I already know about helping vowels when there are 3 consonants cluster, you have to put a small /é/ sound between the first and the second one. thank you though :)

But when the word is alone, I find it strange!

4. إسكندراني

إسكندراني Senior Member

أرض الأنجل
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    It's because Arabic doesn't allow words to start with unvowelled consonants; consider it to be like an ا added to the front of the word to facilitate its real first letter to carry a سكون

5. WannaBFluent

French (فرنسي)
    Then, do I have to pronounce éktaab and éktiir? Or do I have to consider the MSA forms of these words, kitaab and kathiir, so I don't have to add the é?

6. FreeDom Fighter Junior Member

Sweden
    Arabic
    السلام عليكم أخي!
    Yes, in fact, there are many people who add the "e" at the beginning of this type of words. There's no rule for that, you can either add or erase it.
    And this is because you can't count on the Latin Alphabet when typing Arabic using it.
    So you'd see people typing, for instance, فيك تشوف in many different ways. Each one as he feels it should be written;
    Feek tshoof, fek tshof, fik tshuf, feik etshoof ... etc
    And you don't have you pronounce it.
    But what about this word?
    منزم
    émnazam

Did you want to say "منظّم" Munadham (organized/systematic)?

7. WannaBFluent

French (فرنسي)
    Yes, you writed it in MSA. I heard that Syrians often change the ظ into ز that is why I wrote it like this.