1. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Is there such a word tí in Spanish?!
    A Spanish-speaker told me my forum signature ('yo haría lo mismo por ti') was wrong in that the last word should be tí with an accent. He's probably right, but I couldn't find such a basic word in RAE! Any ideas?
  2. María Madrid

María Madrid Banned

Madrid, Spain
    Spanish Spain
    It was so AGES ago, not anymore. You have to write té/te with or without accent depending on wheter you mean tea or for you, or mí (to me) and mi (my) or tú (you) and tu (your).

Since ti can only be that pronoun, you don't have to AND you shouldn't write any accent, just as you don't write fé, but fe. Saludos, :)
  3. Masood

Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Gracias, María.
    I thought I was going mad.
    Voy a dejar la firma como está.
  4. abailar Member

To confirm, mi = my (sin acento), mí = for me or to me, but only ti = for you or to you. Is this correct? Example: A mí me gusta jugar deportes. ¿A ti te gusta?
  5. chamyto

chamyto Senior Member

Burgos, Spain
    That's correct.
  6. abailar Member

7. Amapolas

Amapolas Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Castellano rioplatense
    The rule is that by default one-syllable words don't carry an accent. When they do, that accent is called acento diacrítico, and is used, as explained in previous posts, to differentiate homonyms. Other examples are mas (but) and más (more, plus); si (if) and sí (both yes, and him/her/itself); se (impersonal pronoun) sé (conjugations of the verbs saber and ser).

Comparte esta página