tínhamos demorado-nos

Discussion in 'Português (Portuguese)' started by rhiannonhelen, May 14, 2008.

1. rhiannonhelen

rhiannonhelen Senior Member

English, England
    Quero dizer "We had stayed in Lagos for 3 nights and were on our way back to Seville." My question concerns the location of the pronoun , would it be
    "tinhamos demorado-nos" or "tinhamo-nos demorado tres noites em Lagos e regressavamos para Sevilha"? (I know I've left the accents out!)
  2. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    You can also say simply "tínhamos demorado três noites..."
  3. Vanda

Vanda Moderesa de Beagá

Belo Horizonte, BRASIL
    Português/ Brasil
    The problem with "tínhamos demorado-nos" is that this is the only not permitted position with compound verb tenses. You can use the pronoun after infinitive, after gerund BUT not after participle. Other way, you can put the pronoun in any position according to the grammar.

4. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    I suppose that in Brazil it's also possible to say "tínhamos nos demorado", though. According to Cunha and Cintra, in Brazilian Portuguese the object pronoun may even appear in proclisis to the past participle...
  5. rhiannonhelen

rhiannonhelen Senior Member

English, England
    Thank you both of you. Portuguese pronouns are a bit of a nightmare! I always wondered where they went in compound tenses but now I know!
  6. IsaC Senior Member

Portugal - português
    I wouldn't say none of those. I would say "Tinhamos ficado/estado em Lagos 3 noites e estavamos de regresso a Seville"

Não faz sentido usar o verbo "demorar", parece que foram fazer algo rápido mas só conseguiram depois de 3 dias.
  7. Frajola Senior Member

Braz Portuguese
    :thumbsup: Ditto!