Túró

Discussion in 'Magyar (Hungarian)' started by onsavtasbehalf, Nov 9, 2013.

1. onsavtasbehalf New Member

Hebrew
    Hi there,
    On a recent visit to Hungary I found out that Túró is (curd) cheese. I know that Hungarian is not an Indo-European language, yet in Greek τυρί (turi) also means cheese. This sounds too similar to be a coincidence. Do you have any idea if the two words are actually related, or what is the etymology of Túró?
    Any help would be very appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

2. franknagy Senior Member

The Greeks have been in political and commercial connection with the Hungarians since 1500 years. I can imagine the flow of words and the meal of τυρί (turi) and túró in both directions.

3. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    According to this online Etimological dictionary (see Hungarian Resources Sticky), it is of ancient Turk(ish) origin. (In Turkmenian: turak, etc.)

4. onsavtasbehalf New Member

Hebrew
    Thanks for your help!
    Perhaps I'll try asking in the Greek forum for the etymology of τυρί.

5. Olivier0 Senior Member

Toulouse
    français - France
    The Greek word is the same as Ancient Greek τυρός (turós).
    The Hungarian etymological link gives the old Turkish source as *turag, but this was located in Central Asia and not near ancient Greece, so it may be just a fortuitous coincidence.
    -- Olivier

6. franknagy Senior Member

Hello Oliver,
    Turks and Greeks were living together in mixed-nationality villages and towns during centuries until the Greek troops suffered a catastrophic defeat in 1922 in Dumlupınar. (After that the so called "exchange of inhabitants" separated them.)

Despite of religious and cultural hostage the individuals of mixed nations always marry across and learn to make meals from each other.
    The Turkish Empire was attracting the Central Asian Turkish people: masters, intelligence, warriors were seeing more opportunities, rich customers in the capital of the Padishah, ghazi's glory of the Holy War, so they migrated to Anatolia, Istambul and Rumelia. They brought with themselves the túró in their satchels. The Greek merchants saw the demand and began to cook τυρί. (Maybe already the Ancient Greek adventurers reached Central Asia. They surely did it in the time of Alexander the Great.)
    RegardsFrank

7. Apollodoros

Apollodoros Junior Member

Hi, I always thought túró was coming from Slavic tvaroh/twaróg/творог (German: Quark - cogntes?) which to me seems as a more natural loan compared to Greek/Turkish. Especially since this is an agricultural product and there are other examples of such loans? Is this not possible at all?

8. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    I'm not sure... The Hungarian Etimological dictionary doesn't mention any Slavic origin there.
    There is a word túr (n.), that gives túros (adj. with a short "o"!) that comes from Slovenian originally meaning a wound appearing on people's bottom from long horse riding or on animals (e.g. horses) from "wearing" some leather outfit (missing the right words there again...) that wears there skin/coat.

9. Olivier0 Senior Member

Toulouse
    français - France