1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

T-Z-M-N

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by Treaty, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    Hi,

It seems that Tozman is a Turkish name. I wonder what it means and if it has been used as a boys name in 1700s. Besides, do you use jan (can in Turkish = life, dear?) as a suffix for people's name (like Tozman-can)?

I ask it because of this post (a plate related to Ottomans or Iran). I read the first line as Tuman-can or Tozman-can. (Tuman of course is a famous old Turko-Mongolic name)

Thanks!

2. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

GREAT BRITAIN
    Turkish
    Tozman does not ring a bell. If you could supply in arabic script it might help.
    Thanks

3. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    Thanks,

You could find the Arabic script by following the link in my first post. Anyway, I put it here again. Actually, Tozman is a village (in Bilecik) not a person name. Well I thought "Köyü" is a family name. Anyway, my assumption for the first line of that script is something with these letters T+(Z,R or V)+MA+??
    The post: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2577235
    The script image: http://forum.wordreference.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11225&d=1360449280

What about tezman? I'm sure this one is a name!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

GREAT BRITAIN
    Turkish
    Tuzman is not a modern day Turkish name I can confirm that. Can not recall from Turkish history anyone named with that name either.
    We use "can" as a suffix as you described albeit not really common. In any case I could not read anything Turkish on bad quality picture of the plate.
    Sorry.

5. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    Thanks,
    What about tezman? I saw it as a family name while googling.
    The plate is not Turkish but may be Arabic or Persian. Besides it can all be proper names

6. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

GREAT BRITAIN
    Turkish
    I googled is as well. His name is "ralf", which is not Turkish. Sounds Jewish to me. Or Greek.

7. Treaty Senior Member

Australia
    Persian
    Please search Fatih and Mehmet with Tezman,

P.S. also Selin and Korca!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  8. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

GREAT BRITAIN
    Turkish
    In any cases I am not faimiliar with "tezman" being connected to anything Turkish.