tackle as a synonym to "face" or "address" in this context?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by loureed4, Feb 1, 2013.

1. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Hello,

I am reading the explanation of the word "tackle" here in wordreference, and it makes me wonder if these three words can be used interchangeably in this context:
    [h=5] "We have to face/address/tackle that issue, or else, the company will tear apart" ?[/h]
    I know that there are subtle nuances between "address" and "face", and I think I get it right, but, in this specific context, Could I use "tackle" rather than the others? Is it too formal maybe?

Thanks in advance!

2. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Tackle and address are near synonyms in this context. Somehow 'tackle' sounds more forceful than either of the other two verbs because of its associations with sport and with lifting heavy weights.

In my opinion 'address' is more formal than 'tackle' but my preference is for the latter given the context of tearing apart. Explanation: "to tear apart" has a physical sense and so does "to tackle". The words contribute to the same metaphor.

3. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Thanks Biffo. I got all except the last part the explanation where you point out that both "tackle" and "tear apart" have a more physical sense, but then you say: The words contribute to the same metaphor.

At first I though: Okay, they both have a physical sense, so, "tear apart" would be demolishing the building? Did I get it right? , but then you say "metaphor" and began to doubt whether I got it right.

Thanks a lot once more Biffo!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  4. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    Sorry, I wasn't very clear. Maybe metaphor wasn't the most accurate term. I perhaps should have referred to linguistic sensory modalities. Both "tear apart" and "tackle" have a strong physical semantic basis. Rather than write an essay here is an explanation from Wikipedia!

Representational systems ... is a neuro-linguistic programming model that examines how the human mind processes information. It states that for practical purposes, information is (or can be treated as if) processed through the senses.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representational_systems_(NLP)

I think you have understood perfectly and it was my woolly explanation that caused the problem :)

5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    The complex area of neuro-linguistic programming is beyond my grasp, but I'd answer the original question this way:

face the issue: look at it, recognize its existence

address the issue: talk about it, discuss it

tackle the issue: do something about it

6. loureed4 Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Biffo, I am really sorry....I didn´t understood your point this time either!! :confused: ...but, needless to say I really appreciate your help!!

Parla, that was easy to understand indeed!! . I thought both "face" and "address" brought the sense of "take action, do something about it". For example: Obama says: "We have to face this new wage or racism by carrying out a new policy...".

Is not that so then?

That was a short but amazing explanation Parla!!

7. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    I hope I'm not getting off topic but you have provided a perfect illustration of sensory modalities here:

face the issue: look at it, recognize its existence (Modality = vision)

address the issue: talk about it, discuss it (Modality = sound)

tackle the issue: do something about it (get to grips with it) (Modality = touch)