1. QuébecCityResident New Member

Québec City
    English - British/Canadian
    A friend is looking for "tailleur de chassier"

which refers to the profession of someone's ancestor registered in the 1901 Canadian Census .

The best I can do is cutter or mason or tailor for
    "tailleur".

My best guesses are carriage maker, stone mason or glass cutter.

2. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Welcome to the forum, QuébecCityResident :)

Is your friend positive about « chassier »?
    To my knowledge, there is no such word other than family /municipality name.

I'm afraid we'd need a little more context to be sure.

3. Michelvar

Michelvar quasimodo

Marseille - France
    French-France
    Hi, and welcome!

Is it possible to have the original complete sentence? Chassier is a village in France, is it possible that this man was "tailor in Chassier" before immigrating in Canada?

4. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Michelvar's suggestion has crossed my mind, after I found out about this village (go figure why I wrote municipality).

Hence my asking about « chassier » with a lower case. :)

5. livvie Senior Member

Bretagne
    Gibraltar, English
    I have been keeping an eye on this post as it seems quite interesting. I, too, only found the town 'Chassier' and did think the same as Michelvar.

Are you there QuébecCityResident? :)

6. QuébecCityResident New Member

Québec City
    Yes, I have asked my friend (who is in Europe) for more details. I found the town in France, too.
    I was wondering if it could be some modification of chassis. I am looking for a link to the 1901 census.

If you look at a sample page of the census.
    You will see that there is a box for "Profession ou Métier" after religion. I assume that this is where "tailleur de chassier" was written.

7. lilison Senior Member

English - Canadian
  8. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    You may have a point, lilison. But then why « de »? Could it be that at some point in time, « chassier » meant « produits de la chasse »?

I found this, which might be in line :
    Then again « châssis » is close, so if the information was handwritten... who knows?

We could be playing the guessing game for a while...

In case you haven't found those pages yet - and if you have other information than the person's profession - these bilingual sites may be of help :

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/fra/recensements/Pages/recensements.aspx

http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/census-1901/001013-130-f.html

http://automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

9. QuébecCityResident New Member

Québec City
    Ok. I have the census details. z000154176.pdf
    I cannot put in a link but if you use the Collections Canada link above. It is in Montreal, St Antoine sub-district - P.12
    Line 46. Day - Born in Angleterre.

10. QuébecCityResident New Member

Québec City
    [FONT='PrimaSans BT,Verdana,sans-serif']Here is an update from the friend of a friend.

"We have however, come up with a possible translation. We have since discovered another document about five years later from Toronto (in English) which describes his occupation as a 'Beltmaker'"

So, we need to work backwards "ceinture" seems unlikely but at lest begins with a "c".
    [/FONT]