1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Tails of Shinchoji

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Morgane Le Fay, May 9, 2013.

1. Morgane Le Fay

Morgane Le Fay Junior Member

Italy
    Hello friends, I'm translating into Italian an article in a Buddhist newsletter (written in Eng) which is about pets living in the temple headquarters with monks and followers.
    I have a problem with the very title, which is "Tails of Shinchoji" (Shinchoji is the name of the temple). As you can see, there's a nice pun between 'tales' and 'tails', which I have no idea
    how to translate into Italian. Can you please help me?
    Thank you very much
    Morgana :eek:

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  2. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    A pun? How do we know that's a pun?

3. Morgane Le Fay

Italy
    I know it is because it's a tale about tails, pets, animals that lived in this temple...I thought you wanted to help me and not argue on what is self-explained.

Given the context, I thought it was clear the title is a pun. Do you know what 'pun' means?

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  4. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    TU sai di cosa si parla, noi no visto che non ci hai detto nulla del contesto e non possiamo sognarcelo.

• Threads without context and a full sentence will be deleted - Ogni discussione senza un contesto e una frase intera verrà eliminata •

5. Morgane Le Fay

Italy
    Paul, ti ho dato il contesto, forse non l'hai letto bene. Era nel primo post: "I'm translating into Italian an article in a Buddhist newsletter (written in Eng) which is about pets living in the temple headquarters with monks and followers". Sono nel forum dal 2007, non da 3 giorni, e conosco la regola del contesto.

6. Hillbilly Senior Member

I think that you really can't translate the pun.

Double entendre is always a problem with translation, especially with humor. It usually has to be explained, which ruins the effect.

Your problem is that the term in question is in the title itself. You will just have to choose a title and go with it. I would use the term "racconti."

Or, you could come up with a new and completely different title. Note that some Italian films have English titles that are not translations of the Italian titles at all. Examples: I soliti ignoti (Big Deal on Madonna Street), Gianni e le donne (The Salt of Life).

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  7. Morgane Le Fay

Italy
    Thank you Hillbilly...I'll try to come up with a nice idea including both the idea of the tale and of the pets, or at least that of the pets. But please, if you have any suggestions, just go ahead.
    Have a great day :eek: