1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Take a decision or make a decision

Discussion in 'English Only' started by champagne, May 13, 2006.

1. champagne Junior Member

MILAN
    Italy
    Hi!

In the sentence "If you have a lot of information about the different universities you can take/make a more informed/conscious/aware choice

I know that in the dictionary it says "to make a decision", but I've read many times "take" and now I'm confused...

Thanks a lot!

2. moo mouse Senior Member

Paris, France
    English UK
    Both take and make are used with descisions, but in this context I would definitely say 'make a more informed decision/choice'. I'm not exactly sure why though, it just sounds better to me. I would be interested to hear other opinions!

But conscious and aware don't really fit this context, informed is the best choice.

3. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    Just as a point of interest, it is not common to hear "take a decision" in AE (except by Italians, of course ;)). We "make" a decision, or "come to" a decision.

4. mariposita

mariposita Senior Member

madrid
    US, English
    Yes, in the US, we always make a decision.

5. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    The action of deciding is the taking. The process of deciding, the mental debate you have with yourself, is the making.

Information leads to us being informed, so…
    If you have a lot of information about the different universities you can
    make
    a more informed choice.

6. champagne Junior Member

MILAN
    Italy
    Thank you very much!
    Now I'm sure english speakers make decisions! :)

7. zelazbert New Member

English United States of America
    Hi,

I was taught that "decisions" are "made." Over the past few years, though, I have been hearing of decisions being "taken" more frequently than "made," from such sources as National Public Radio (NPR) and the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC). Can anyone tell me if “taking decisions” is correct, and if so when it became correct?

Perhaps I was underexposed in my youth to this grammatical development, but it still jars me when I hear of decisions being “taken.” (I blame the government, all this taking rather than making, ;) )

Thanks to any and all that can shed some light on this for me!

8. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    In English, at least in AE, decisions are "made."

In some other languages, such as French and Spanish to name two, one "takes" a decision < ---> . Is it possible that the people you have heard speaking are non-native speakers of English?

This would explain the transliteration. From what I know, "take" has not crept its way into mainstream AE yet.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  9. modus.irrealis Senior Member

Toronto
    English, Canada
    For me too, it's "make a decision" and "take" sounds like translationese (or like Quebec English, which has been influenced by French). Although I searched for "took the decision" on Google News and many are from non-English countries, but there's a quite a few from the UK, so maybe it's something that's catching on in UK and international English.

10. moirag Senior Member

Spain
    English, England
    Both "make" and "take" sound OK to me.

11. maxiogee Senior Member

imithe
    I'm with you on this zelazbert.
    One makes a decision to take some form of action.

12. Arenita

Arenita Senior Member

Lima - Perú
    Castellano
    Hello:

I always thought that people "make a decision", but looking for the word decision at Oxford Dictionary I have found the following:

to make o (BrE also) take a decision tomar una decisión.

I hope it helps

13. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Take a decision is used in BE, although less often than make.
    Web results:
    about 19,000,000 for "make a decision
    about 909,000 for "take a decision

UK results
    about 1,400,000 for "make a decision
    about 145,000 for "take a decision

That surprises me a little, as I expected take to be more popular than it is.
    The OED takes no position on this, listing both possibilities.

14. foxfirebrand

foxfirebrand Senior Member

The Northern Rockies
    Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    To me "take a decision" is one of those quintessentially BE differences, like being "in hospital" or "on queue"-- that last one sounds to an American like good stagecraft.

I too am surprised how many people were so categorical about the AE version, which of course makes sense to my ears. Maxi's post makes me wonder if there isn't a difference between English English or maybe even RP-- and Irish or perhaps also other dialects.

15. natasha2000

natasha2000 Senior Member

Sorry, I had to do it.:eek:

16. Victoria32

Victoria32 Senior Member

New Zealand
    English (UK) New Zealand
    That's what I'd say too, I mean to 'take a decision' just doesn't sound right, and raises the question "take it where?" :confused:

17. moirag Senior Member

Spain
    English, England

18. A90Six Senior Member

London
    England - English.
    As I see it (BE London):

I would not baulk at hearing take a decision, but I always make a decision. Any controversy can be avoided by the use of the word decide.

I don't have a problem with in hospital and I am surprised that there is an AE alternative (What is it?).

The only form of on queue I would understand is on cue, meaning (from the acting profession) to do or say something at the right time.

19. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    There is a really useful discussion about in hospital and at hospital
    in or at (the) hospital

Please continue the in/at hospital discussion there if you feel inspired.
    All relevant posts from this thread have had their relevant parts copied there.

Those of you looking for a discussion on queues, lines and in/on should find your previous thoughts in
    Queues and lines. Are we in them or on them?

Please try to remember that the topic of this thread is decisions

20. zelazbert New Member

21. Rigoleta New Member

Bucharest
    Romanian - Romania
    Hello!
    I usually use 'make the decision', but I have recently come across the combination 'take the decision'; if they both can be used, which is the difference in meaning?
    For instance:
    - The Board took the decision to change the headquarters at the last Shareholders' General Assembly.
    - The Board made the decision to change the headquarters at the last Shareholders' General Assembly.

Thank you for helping,

Rigoleta

22. virr2

virr2 Senior Member

Warsaw
    Poland
    Hi,

I think that "take a decision" is primarily British usage and "make a decision" is American usage.

23. Giordano Bruno Senior Member

English, England
    Speaking for BE. I think the two versions are interchangeable without any great difference in meaning or nuance.

You might prefer to say, "We reluctantly took the decision", which suggests a passive acceptance of a situation rather than the more active "We made the diecsion to start a new plant in Asia".

24. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    For information, I have noticed many instances of "take a decision" reported on BBC News in the past few months.

25. Giordano Bruno Senior Member

English, England
    It occurs to me also that you would not use "Take a decision" to tell someone to choose.

26. zelazbert New Member

I agree - here in the U.S., in real situations, I have heard "Please make a decision" many times, but never "Please take a decision." In fact, I think if you asked people to "take a decision," most would look around trying to find it.

From all the responses, it seems like BE accepts both make and take a decision (leaning towards make), whereas AE is still pretty firmly make.

I, for one, have made the decision that making is better than taking, probbably in the general sense, but in this case for decisions. Not for linguistic reasons, but just because there should be a standard, and and while it's reasonable to take people's advice, it's just as reasonable to make your own decision.

27. savs New Member

India
    which is correct?
    do you say, "she takes a decision" or "she makes a decision". Both sound correct, but we generally say "decision-maker" not "decision-taker".

28. SweetSoulSister Senior Member

American English
    We say, "make a decision".

"decision-maker" is correct, we don't say "decision-taker".

29. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Both are correct. AE prefers make. I have heard take used rarely in AE, and much more frequently in BE.

The decision-maker vs. decision-taker matter has little to do with the selection of make or take. I've not come across the term decision-taker.

google results: (These are useful only to show general trends.)
    [SIZE=-1]Results 1 - 10 of about 1,890,000 for "make a decision".
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Results 1 - 10 of about 811,000 for "take a decision".[/SIZE]

30. SweetSoulSister Senior Member

American English
    Thanks cuchuflete, I didn't know :)

31. mjscott Senior Member

Agreed. I have never heard decision taker--I'm not sure how it would be used.
    Cheers!

32. ashley817 New Member

I think "take a decision" is the correct one,and so common to use

33. AUGUSTA74 New Member

argentinian english
    yes!

34. Esneider113 Senior Member

Spanish
    I think the meanings are essentially the same. I myself have never used "take a decision."

I am a native speaker of British English, and the normal thing to say is "make a decision". Using "take a decision" seems to have become very common with the media and politicians in the last few years, but I've never heard anyone say it in conversation.

So if you are learning English "make a decision" is what you should say if you want to sound more native. If you were talking about yourself you could just say something like "i need to decide" eg "i need to decide which kind of chocolate cake I want for my party"

Regards
    Esneider

Hope this helps

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  35. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    The Longman dictionary provides a brief explanation of the difference between make and take a decision:

36. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Interesting observation, Paul.
    I wonder if there are many people who make the distinction this entry suggests: "make a decision" can be quick and without much thought, while "take a decision" implies much thought and possibly more time. I think it might well only apply within BrE given the rarity of take in AmE.

37. Paulfromitaly

Paulfromitaly MODerator

Brescia (Italy)
    Italian
    My guess is "very few", considering that most of the people who posted in this thread suggested that "take a decision" ought to be avoided.

38. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    Both make and take sound fine to me, but without the distinction made by Longman.

39. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    Ahh but, most of those are from the US, while "take a decision" is quite common in BrE, where both forms exist. I wondered whether the distinction is made by those in BrE-landia who might use both forms.

Edit : It's apparently not made by panj who posted when I did.

40. wordjazreference New Member

Chinese
    I'm new here but hope I can add to this old thread - perhaps other new comers may benefit too.

Aside from Longman dictionary, other authoritative dictionaries may also help shed light on this "take or make" question:

• Oxford advanced learner's dictionary says:
    "take a decision" is British English usage, equivalent to "decide" (so it seems here that "take a decision" = "make a decision")

• Merriam-Webster Learner's dictionary gives a similar explanation to that of Longman's:
    "take a decision" may imply the decision is important and official.

• Interestingly, Cambridge online dictionary, among others, doesn't even include "take" in its examples of "decision."

I also referred to the English usage books at hand:
    • Merriam-Webster's doesn't have an entry for "decision."
    • Garner's Modern American Usage says "take a decision" is an example of British English invading American English in the late 20th century.

From the discussions under this thread and my own search, I got the idea that "make a decision" is mainly AE, while "take" is BE.

However, it seems to me that even British references begin to slight (or forget) the use of "take a decision."
    Another guess is that the phrases of "decision-making" and "decision-maker" have become business buzzwords, hence the winning popularity of "make" a decision over "take."

I personally would say "make a decision" in most cases, but I'll consider using "take a decision" in accordance with M-W dictionary explanations.

p.s. I can't post links because I'm a new member, but you can just search those dictionaries online for the word "decision" and you'll find it. The "Garner's" usage book seems only to come in print edition, though.

41. Notafrog Junior Member

España (Catalunya)
    English UK
    Here's how I see it. "Make a decision" is the normal thing to say in any flavour of English, just as you would say "make one's mind up".
    If you want to say "take a decision" you will need to justify it. The only way I can see any kind of justification for it is in something like "I took the decision to..." if used as a short form of "I took it upon myself to make the decision to...".
    Otherwise it's just a bad translation from French or another Latin language. The more time goes by, the more bad translations you find in Google results, especially EU-influenced ones.

42. sofuia New Member

Italian
    I normally use take a decision, but have used make a decision as well. However, in the passive form, taking a decision often seems to fit better. For example, today I was correcting an official document and saw the following "Decisions are made by consensus". Now this doesn't sound right to me, aside from being brought up in the UK. The sentence sounds like "consensus is making decisions", while the sentence should imply that the decision-making process is completed once a consensus has been reached. To me "Decisions are taken by consensus" sounds better, because it implies this process more clearly. I hope that makes sense...??!!