1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Take a rest or have some rest

Discussion in 'English Only' started by claude23, Feb 1, 2006.

1. claude23 Senior Member

normandy
    FRANCE
    Hi,

Take a rest or have some rest ? May i use both ? Is there only one way of saying it ?

Thank you,

Claude.

2. thrice Senior Member

Fort Worth, Texas
    English - U.S.
    If you're telling someone to rest after a long day's work, "have some rest" seems more appropriate. One might say "take a rest" when you mean "from" something, as in "take a rest from your work and come have lunch with me". They seem pretty similar to me, with just a few minor nuances.

3. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    You could say Have a rest.

4. sailingbikeruk New Member

Northampton
    English, England
    This is interesting, I cannot think of a sentence where the phrase "take a rest" would be used. Surely you would take a break from your work to have lunch.

You can "have a rest" so you could say "why don't you have a rest from all this work and come have lunch with me"

Sinimilarly in the first person it wold be more common to hear someone say "I am going to have a rest"

It would be my opinion that to have a rest would be more accurate than to take a rest.

Ian

5. TrentinaNE Senior Member

USA
    English (American)
    Interesting. Where I've lived (Illinois and Massachusetts), we neither take nor have a rest, we simply rest: "Why don't you rest now?" We do, however, take a break in order to rest. ;)

Elisabetta