take it personal, vs take it personally

Discussion in 'English Only' started by hly2004, Feb 8, 2007.

1. hly2004 Banned

Hi, everyone:

Could you please tell me if the two are the same thing? I found there're also quite a few results of "take it personal", but much less than "take it personally".

Best wishes.
  2. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    "Take it personal" is grammatically incorrect, Hly2004. The proper word in this context is "personally"
  3. hly2004 Banned

I see, thanks
  4. Stefan_82 Junior Member

However, don't English native speakers very often use the grammatically incorrect adjective instead of the adverb? This seems to be my general impression which leads to a big confusion with my correct use of both forms.
  5. hly2004 Banned

Yes, for english learners, a gramatic mistake is more likely to be pointed out by a native speaker out of a good intention.
  6. JamesM

JamesM à la Mod

A fair number of people will say "take it personal", but I think many more people say, "take it personally", since it is correct.
  7. Dimcl Senior Member

British Columbia, Canada
    Canadian English
    Some do but I don't think that native English-speakers "very often" do so. A quick "Google" of the two phrases shows a vastly greater number of "take it personally".

This is such a glaring error that I would likely point it out to anyone (and hope that they don't take it personally).:)
  8. hly2004 Banned

I cannot agree more.

Not at all