1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

(take) Self-assessment

Discussion in 'English Only' started by linmorwen, Oct 9, 2007.

1. linmorwen

linmorwen Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    Hello everyone;

I have a question regarding self-assessment, can I say that a student will take a self-assessment? If not, which word should I use?

Thank you!

2. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
    You can. Within a fuller context, the text suggested should be amply understandable.

Of course, you can also be more specific: is it a test, tool, process, system, activity, etc.?

3. Driven

Driven Senior Member

USA/English
    If you say take a self-assessment, it implies a self-assessment exam or test. If the student is just going to assess him/herself then you should say do a self assessment (without the hyphen). That would be more of a mental thing as opposed to a written test.

4. jakeapeg

jakeapeg Junior Member

Salerno, Italy
    Scotland, English
    I agree with Driven, but would prefer to specify in the sentence itself by writing "self-assessment test/exam" when wishing to use take. Not sure about the hyphen though... maybe it is acceptable with or without it? It looks strange to me to leave it out.

5. Driven

Driven Senior Member

USA/English
    When you have two words that act as an adjective to a third word, they are hyphenated but if the second word acts as the noun, they are not hyphenated. For example, "ten year-old boy" as opposed to "ten year old". I guess this is a different thread though!

6. jakeapeg

jakeapeg Junior Member

Salerno, Italy
    Scotland, English
    I was confused because I thought that you meant in general, as in there is no hyphen ever... thanks for clearing that one up for me! It's disturbing haw doubts can arise about even your native language...

7. linmorwen

linmorwen Senior Member

Spanish - Argentina
    thank you! I will write "take a self-assessment test".