Take the lead

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Antonio, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    Hi Group,

What does it mean "Take the lead". And I have a sentence "Tom you take the lead".

2. David Senior Member

You go first and lead the rest of us. Lleva la batuta... Ve por delante...

3. fleuriste-du-mal Senior Member

Arizona
    US - English
    In situations where people are not actually in motion, "you take the lead" has the sense of "you be in charge." Perhaps it is up to Tom to determine how best to proceed in some endeavor or inquiry.

My Spanish isn't good enough to know if that is conveyed idiomatically in what David has already offered, so forgive me if this is redundant.

4. David Senior Member

Lleva la batuta means carry the baton, as a conductor or a general...same idea...

5. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    or in politics you can say "X candidate is taking the lead in the polls right now" meaning the advantage, right?

6. Tormenta

Tormenta Senior Member

Lancashire,England
    Argentina-Español

Se puede decir de varias maneras, pero en este caso yo diría "hacerse cargo"

"Tom, hazte cargo"

En otros contextos (deportes, política, etc) se puede decir "llevar la delantera".

Tormenta :)

7. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    Once more I implore you to use only English here. This is the English only forum.

Antonio: Yes, you are correct. To take the lead in a race, any type of race, means that you are ahead of the rest. In the presidential race, a candidate takes the lead in the polls. He has the advantage, as you say.

8. Tormenta

Tormenta Senior Member

Lancashire,England
    Argentina-Español

Sorry!

Tormenta

9. Antonio Senior Member

Monterrey
    Mexico/Spanish
    "Tom you take the lead" implies "Tom you go first"?

10. Nick

Nick Senior Member

Western USA
    USA, English
    Yes.