1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)
  1. Novich Senior Member

Castellano, Argentina
    I thought that the difference were that tale is like a story for children and story can include all kind of stories, not only for children. I looked up in the dictionary but it says that they´re the same!

2. aztlaniano

aztlaniano Senior Member

Lavapiestán, Madrid
    English (Aztlán, US sector)
    Bueno, un "cuento de hadas" se llama "fairy tale" y no "fairy story", y un "tale" suele ser ficción, mientras que un "story" podría ser un relato de hechos reales, pero no siempre.
    "A yarn" suele ser ficción, o al menos algo improbable.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. FromPA

FromPA Senior Member

Philadelphia area
    USA English
    To me, "tale" has more of a literary connotation, whereas "story" is more generic. When you use "tale" in a non-literary context (e.g., he told me his tales of woe), it serves to aggrandize the story by likening it to something from literature.

4. Archilochus Senior Member

New Mexico
    American English
    Out, out, brief candle!
    Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
    Signifying nothing.

5. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite modrageous!

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
    Opino igual que aztlaniano. Son palabras que pueden, a veces, usarse indistintamente, pero no siempre. "Story" es una palabra más general, pero como ya se ha mencionado, decimos "fairy tale" y no "fairy story", aunque los cuentos de hadas son "stories" de fantasía. Igual, tiene la palabra cierto uso cuando hablamos de obras literarias como dice FromPA, por ejemplo, A Tale of Two Cities de Charles Dickens. Abajo te pongo lo que dice un diccionario de ambos vocablos.

tale

[teyl]

noun
    1.a narrative that relates the details of some real or imaginary event, incident, or case; story: a tale about Lincoln's dog.

2.a literary composition having the form of such a narrative.

3.a falsehood; lie.

4.a rumor or piece of gossip, often malicious or untrue.

story

1 [stawr-ee, stohr-ee] noun, plural sto·ries
    1.a narrative, either true or fictitious, in prose or verse, designedto interest, amuse, or instruct the hearer or reader; tale.

2.a fictitious tale, shorter and less elaborate than a novel.

3.such narratives or tales as a branch of literature: song and story.

4.the plot or succession of incidents of a novel, poem, drama,etc.: The characterizations were good, but the story was weak.

5.a narration of an incident or a series of events or an exampleof these that is or may be narrated, as an anecdote, joke, etc.

6. antogna83 New Member

hola!
    si tu decir " tale, u mean a story that may be true, real even or false one, y, should be exciting,dramatic and interesting, for it to be told to children only {fairly tale}, la cuento should involve magic events and imaginary creatures!