Talk the hind legs off a donkey

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Artrella, May 12, 2005.

1. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
    Hello! :)

Does anybody know the origin of this saying? I've been searching for it in Google but couldn't find it... any ideas? Thank you!

2. AverageJoe Junior Member

U.S.A: American English
    I've never heard it before, but it sounds like it means 'talks a lot'

3. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Yes Joe, that is correct. But I would like to know the origin of this idiom. Like the origin of the "donkey's year" (if you search for it you will find it, but I couldn't find the "hind legs...") :)

4. lsp

lsp Senior Member

NY
    US, English
    I think more than just talking a lot. I don't know how it got started, but I believe it describes someone so persuasive that s/he could get a donkey that needs all 4 legs to stand and to walk, to give up its rear legs.

5. irishstu Senior Member

Taiwan
    N.Ireland (Eng, Sp, Fr)
    I've also heard "Talk the leg(s) off a chair", which is bound to be related.

Maybe you'll have better luck finding some info on that.

6. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Yes, you are right! When I was "googling" to find the origin of that phrase, I came across your phrase...but still need the origin of that... :rolleyes:

Thank you everybody :thumbsup:

7. daviesri Senior Member

Houston, TX
    USA English
    I think you have the case of two cliches that crossed over and became combined. It is quite common for that to happen.

8. Helicopta

Helicopta Senior Member

Kettering
    England - English (Learning Spanish)
    Sorry I can't help you with the origin but I can tell you that it's quite a common phrase. My Dad uses it all the time in reference to my Mum!

9. daviesri Senior Member

Houston, TX
    USA English
  10. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Thank you Daviesri!! I had seen that page before posting this question here... I was looking for something like the "Word Detective"... but no way!! :D

Thanks guys!! :) ;) :p

:mad: men always say the same thing!!! ....aarrggghhhh!!!! :thumbsdown:

11. la grive solitaire

la grive solitaire Senior Member

United States, English
  12. Artrella Banned

BA
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng
  13. Adrian Geiser New Member

Lima, Peru
    Peru, spanish and english
    yap, yap, yap... that´s what it means !

14. scandalously in love

scandalously in love Senior Member

Canada - English
    awww.. this reminds me of Anne of Green Gables... (anybody read the book/seen the series?? :))

Marilla says of Anne Shirley ..."She could talk the hind legs off of a mule!"

It's quite amusing. And true. ;)

15. garryknight Senior Member

Kent, UK
    UK, English
    I saw the Megan Follows film. A great actress. (OK, so I'm a big softie...:))

16. la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Ta-da! :) http://greengables-1.tripod.com/sounds/
    (Me, too.) Megan Follows, Collen Dewhurst, Richard Farnsworth--the entire cast was superb, especially in part I, "Anne of Green Gables."

17. scandalously in love

scandalously in love Senior Member

Canada - English
    awww... I fully concur about Megan Follows et al. :D

A timeless Canadian classic.

Thanks for the wonderful sound link!

*walks off quoting Anne... There she weaves by night and day, a magic web with colours gay.......If you only call me Anne spelt with an E, I shall reconcile myself to not being called Cordelia..." ;)

18. la grive solitaire

United States, English
    You're welcome--it is good, isn't it? The complete text of Tennyson's "The Lady of Shalott" is there at the end of the script for "part 1". I've always loved Anne's explanation of why she pretended to have lost Marilla's brooch: :)

MARILLA: What ever made you say that you took it and lost it?

ANNE: You said you'd keep me in my room until I confessed. I just thought up a good confession and made it as interesting as I could.

MARILLA: But it was still a lie.

ANNE: You wouldn't believe the truth.