Talk to me

Discussion in 'العربية (Arabic)' started by bizco, Nov 27, 2006.

1. bizco Junior Member

how do you say ?
    " Talk to me "
    in Arabic.
    Also would it have the same meaning in all Arabic speaking countries or would there be some differences in the way the expression would be used ?.
  2. xebonyx

xebonyx Senior Member

I think it's "قل لي"- qul li. But...let's wait for the native speakers for the best answer.
  3. abusaf Senior Member

I would say
    تكلّم معي
    Takallam ma3ee
  4. Shlama_98 Junior Member

Syriac Aramaic/Iraq
    It is Takallam Ma3ee as the above post says, and what xebonyx posted means "Tell me".

As for the maning in all Arabic countries, well this is proper Arabic so if you're using proper Arabic then it's the same with all Arabic countries, but since every Arabic country has its dialect then this term would not sound the same in all Arabic countries if you use the dialect of a certain country.
  5. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    Notice that تكلم معي (takallam ma3i) is used if you're talking to a male. If you're talking to a female, a group, two people - the form changes.

I would prefer calling this form of the language standard Arabic, not proper Arabic. Colloquial Arabic is not improper; it's just a different variety of the language with its own uses.

If you're interested in dialectal translations, let us know.
  6. cherine

cherine Moderator

Alexandria, Egypt
    Arabic (Egypt).
    There's also another form : kallimni كلمني (takallam ma3i) is more of talk with me, rather than to me.

To a female, you'd say : kallimiini كلميني
    plural male : kallimuuni كلموني
    plural femal : kallimnani كلمنـَني
    dual form : kallimaani كلِّماني

It's fus7a (MSA) and it's also used in colloquial Egyptian. I think it's also used in most, if not all, Arab countries.
  7. elroy

elroy Motley mod

Chicago, IL
    American English, Palestinian Arabic
    It's understood in Palestinian Arabic, but it's not commonly used with this meaning. We usually use it with a slightly different meaning.

Cherine and Elroy are in the kitchen. Bizco is in his bedroom. Cherine wants to talk to Bizco and asks Elroy to please go ask Bizco if he can come to the kitchen, because she's busy making a cake. Elroy goes to Bizco's room and says, "Bizco, (ruu7) kallem Cherine."

This basically means "Go talk to Cherine because she asked for you."

I have no idea if it's used this way (i.e. specifically with the connotation that someone wants to talk to you so you should go heed his/her request) in other dialects.

To just ask someone to talk to someone else, we use the verb "i7ki" (or, less commonly, "tkallam") + the preposition "ma3."

I7ki/tkallam ma3aay (masculine singular)
    I7ki/tkallami ma3aay (feminine singular)
    I7ku/tkallamu ma3aay (plural)
  8. SofiaB Senior Member

English Asia
    i7ki also in other Levantine and Iraqi.
  9. Tariq_Ibn_zyad Senior Member

In Morocco and Algeria:
    -hDer(m)/heDri(f) m3aya
  10. Josh_ Senior Member

the phrontistery
    U.S., English
    Yes, it has that meaning in Egyptian as well (along with the literal "speak to me"). I would describe it as something like 'you're wanted':

kallim it-tilifoon
    You're wanted on the phone.

This actually reminds me of another funny story from my time in Egypt. Donkey drawn carts are a main mode of transportation and many street vendors use them to pull their carts. So you are bound to hear a donkey bray, which is actually quite loud if you are nearby. Anyway, whenever I was with my Egyptian friends and we heard a donkey bray someone would invariably look at me and say "kallim!"
  11. ayed

ayed Senior Member

We say:
    قل لي
    Badawi dialect:
  12. Shlama_98 Junior Member

Syriac Aramaic/Iraq
    in Iraqi we say i7-chi, and in the north the ch becomes a k so i7-ki, btw this is not the Hebrew ch, it's an English ch like chair.

We also say gul-li which means tell me, this is for a male, for a female it becomes gul-li-li, the gul is qul originally but the q is only used in north Iraq.
  13. cute angel Senior Member

the universe
    we say in the standard language that all the arabian have shares
    تكلم معي
    takalem ma3ee
    but in the dialects it's diffrent
    in north africa we say
    اهدر معايا
    ahdar ma3aya
    in egypt
    and others