1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Tamar

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by Tamar, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Tamar

Tamar Senior Member

Israel, Hebrew
    Hi everyone,

Tamar in Hebrew is a name of a fruit - a date palm.

What is a date palm in your language and can it be used as a name?

2. ilocas2 Senior Member

Bohemia
    Czech
    Czech:

datlovník
    palma datlová

It's not used as a name

3. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi Tamar,

In Greek the palm-tree in general is «φοίνικας» ['finikas] (masc.) < Classical 3rd declension masc. noun «φοῖνιξ» pʰoêniks < Classical adj. «φοινός, φοινὴ, φοινόν» pʰœnós (masc.), pʰœnḕ (fem.), pʰœnón (neut.) --> of blood-red colour; the etymology of «φοῖνιξ» pʰoêniks (and of «φοινός») is obscure (although it's an archaic word: Mycenaean Gr. *po-ni-ke, probably an early Egyptian loan word) > exonym «Φοῖνιξ» pʰoêniks (masc.) --> Phoenician & «Φοινίκη» pʰœníkē (fem.) --> Phoenicia. Not to be confused with the mythical bird Phoenix.
    The date palm-tree (Phoenix dactylifera) is «χουρμαδιά» [xurma'ðʝa] (fem.) and its fruit is «χουρμάς» [xur'mas] (mac.) < Turkish hurma.
    No, it would be very unusual to name a modern Greek boy or girl, «Φοίνικας» ['finikas] (masc.) or «Φοινικάς» [fini'kas] (fem.) respectively.

4. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    As a female given name Tamara (< תמר) is common in Europe, the USA, ...

5. Perseas Senior Member

Athen
    Griechisch
    I 'd just like to note that in the Greek mythology Phoenix (Φοίνιξ) was Achilles' tutor and one of his Myrmidons. In modern Greek as apmoy70 states it would be an unusual name.

6. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    In Russian it is финиковая пальма /finikovaya palma/; the fruit is финик /finik/.

A human name Финиковая пальма, Финик would sound very bizarre in Russian.

The female version of the name, Тамара /tamara/ is a relatively comon name, I believe it came into Russian from Georgia, after a Gerogian tsarina

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  7. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    The female Hebrew name appears in the Greek Septuagint (LXX) as «Θάμαρ» -in Modern Greek pronunciation ['θamar]:
    «καὶ ἔλαβεν ᾿Ιούδας γυναῖκα ῍Ηρ τῷ πρωτοτόκῳ αὐτοῦ, ᾗ ὄνομα Θάμαρ»
    "Then Judah took a wife for Er his firstborn, and her name was Tamar"
    (Genesis 37:6 NKJV).
    Yet again, in Greek we don't use the name «Θάμαρ» at all.

8. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic:

Palm Tree is نخلة /nakhla/

The date fruit is تمرة /tamra/ (pl. تمر /tamr/) or بلحة /balaḥa/ (pl. بلح /balaḥ/)

The word fruit in general is ثمرة /θamara/ (pl. ثمر /θamar/)

The word /nakhla/ is used as a male name in some Arab countries but the words /tamra/ or /balaḥa/ are not used as names

9. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Turkish: hurma (from Persian)

10. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    That is interesting: in Russian "hurma" (which i assume is a loanword from Turkic languages) is presimmon rather than date.

11. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Yes, Tamara is a fairly common name in the U.S., but in AE the fruit from date palms are simply called dates. I've never known anyone with the name "Date," but I've known several women with the name Tamara that I would have been happy to go out on a "date" with. :D

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  12. ancalimon Senior Member

Istanbul
    Turkish
    Apparently for some reason presimmon is called "yaş hurma" meaning "wet date" or "fresh date" "not mature, not ripe date" in Turkish. Funny coincidence is "date" (değdi) means "it's ripe, matured, it touched" in Turkish. :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  13. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: (dadel-)palm. Not used as a name...

14. mataripis Senior Member

There is no date palm term in Tagalog but what I know, dates are sweet, so there is a Tagalog term "Tamis" (sweetness) and I think if you use it as a name it will become " Thames".

15. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    You mean to say the bird's name is irrelevant to the name of the fruit?

16. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Exactly, they are false friends.
    The name of the tree (and fruit) is an ancient -probably Semitic (for some philologists an early Egyptian), loan word; in the Mycenaean syllabary (Linear B) appears as *po-ni-ke. The Latins also used the name as an exonym for the Carthaginians:
    Pœnus --> Carthaginian, Phoenician, Pūnicus --> Carthaginian & blood-red colour.
    The name of the mythical bird on the other hand, is clearly an Egyptian loan word: «φοῖνιξ» < Egyptian bnu, or, bennu

17. darush Senior Member

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persimmon:

18. Codinome Shlomo Senior Member

Portuguese (Brazil)
    In Portuguese a date palm is called "tamareira", and the fruit is known as "tâmara".
    The name Tamara is somewhat common here in Brazil. I don't know about Portugal.

19. Montesacro Senior Member

Roma
    Italiano
    In Italian:

palma da dattero /'palma da 'dattero/ - the tree
    dattero /'dattero/ - the fruit.

Dattero is not used as a name, but palma is a (not common) female name.